What Did I Do Wrong??? Please Help :)

Decorating By CakeAffair22 Updated 30 Apr 2014 , 10:20pm by CakeAffair22

CakeAffair22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAffair22 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 6:27am
post #1 of 11

AOkay so I was making a baby shower cake for my friend this weekend. I baked the cake, let it cool, leveled and crumb coated it, put it in the freezer to get kinda cold so it could set up, rolled out my fondant, then took the cake out and put a thin layer of icing on and covered it in fondant then let it sit on the counter as I prepared the decorations. It got extremely wet all over and buy the next day it was dry but the fondant had a few rips in it. Now what did I do wrong. I've heard people say they froze cakes with no problems and covered them too. But my cake wasn't even froze just a little cold. Please help me not make this mistake again. :) and please don't be cruel because I am new to cake central and cake decorating. Thank you!

10 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 6:48am
post #2 of 11

ABecause the cake was cold that made the fondant sweat. You either have to be very quick or bring them up to room temp :)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 6:55am
post #3 of 11

AI don't know what happened, but be careful about when people say they always do this or that with no issues. Some things are effected by humidity, type of frig and air temperature of the room.

CakeAffair22 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 7:04am
post #4 of 11

AThank you both for your answers! [@]cupcakemaker[/@] what do you mean by be very quick?

cupcakemaker Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 7:14am
post #5 of 11

AJust that. Get your fondant on before it starts sweating!

CakeAffair22 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 7:58am
post #6 of 11

AThe icing layer wasn't sweating at all when I put the fondant on. It was after the fondant was on that the fondant began to sweat.

cupcakemaker Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 8:06am
post #7 of 11

AIt should dry out fine then. I just don't ice cold. Too much stress!

CakeAffair22 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 8:12am
post #8 of 11

AOkay thank you for helping you've been very kind :)

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 11

Your cake experienced a normal physical reaction:  condensation.  It happens every time a cold object is put in a warm environment where there is a certain amount of moisture in the air.  The same reason that water drops appear on the side of a glass of iced tea on a warm summer day.  The moisture in the air condenses into water droplets and clings to the surface of the glass.

You didn't see condensation on the buttercream, but it was likely there.

You can cover a cold cake.  Just be prepared to allow the condensation to dry.  If it's unusually humid [raining, etc.] then you may need to set a fan toward the cake.

If there was condensation on the surface of the buttercream and the fondant is thin, then the fondant can tear and/or melt at edges and thinner spots.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 11

yes to all the above good advice plus you could make sure it comes to room temperature more gradually by fridging it a bit or a lot after you cover it--

just another thought on the subject--

CakeAffair22 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 11

AThank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%