An Amazing Chocolate Cake

Baking By LoveonCloudCupcake Updated 28 Apr 2014 , 10:54am by asmita123

LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 12:57am
post #1 of 8

AOk so I have tried SEVERAL chocolate cake recipes. I loved the one that was dubbed "Ultimate chocolate cupcake" I think, on glorious treats I want to say. It has been my favorite until now. Also, I don't like all the ingredients needed..melted chocolate, cocoa powder, sour cream ect. I like to keep it basic and Simple. I made this tonight paired with SavorySweetLifes chocolate buttercream which is always my go to chocolate frosting & it is heavenly. My only complaint was my cakes sunk in the middle just a tad. Other than that, I ate 2 big slices! Oh my. It's that good. I used Valrhona cocoa powder in mine.

The Best Chocolate Cake October 11th, 2011YIELD: 8 servingsPREP TIME: 25 minutesCOOK TIME: 35 minutes INGREDIENTS: 2 cups sugar 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 tablespoons King Arthur Flour Black Cocoa, optional 2 teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 eggs 1 cup buttermilk 1 cup strong black coffee (I used Green Mountain Coffee’s Vermont Country Blend) 1/2 cup vegetable oil 2 teaspoons vanilla extract DIRECTIONS: 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside. 2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa(s), baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes; the batter will be thin. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. 3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. 4. Frost as desired. I used a simple and delicious Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Savory Sweet Life. One batch was perfect for this layered chocolate cake.

NOTES: - The Black Cocoa from King Arthur Flour is optional - it simply provides a great depth of flavor and color to the chocolate cake. - This cake also pairs beautifully with a simple chocolate ganache.

7 replies
enga Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 1:01am
post #2 of 8

Wow, thanks for sharing, I got about a cup of Black cocoa left ;-D

kkmcmahan Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 1:44am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, I love it when people find a great recipe and share it!

remnant3333 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 2:27am
post #4 of 8

I have never heard of black cocoa.  I did buy a Hershey's cocoa that was labeled as "special dark" which was a blend of natural and dutched cocoas. Would that be the same as black cocoa?

enga Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 2:31am
post #5 of 8

It is soooo dark, I don't know how dark Hershey's is but this one is (Oreo cookie) black. You have to careful with it it's very strong. A little goes a long way.

*edited to add link

LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 3:36am
post #6 of 8

AI honestly didn't use it. I think I added just a spoonful of the regular Dutch process cocoa powder I had. The Valrhona Cocoa powder I used have it a deep dark color. Not as black as the KA would give. Hershey's special dark should give you a very deep dark cake as well! I've used it before and the cake was almost black. Here's a slice of mine, I think it's dark.

asmita123 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 10:54am
post #8 of 8

Your recipe is great and easy.

I love the chocolate flavor cake.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%