Giving A Talk To High School Kids

Business By fatcatbakery Updated 28 Apr 2014 , 1:15am by hammer1

fatcatbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fatcatbakery Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 5

My former high school teacher asked me to talk to her class about owning a home business and I've been trying to put together some ideas for what to talk about. I am going to talk about how much money I invested on equipment, how much I make on orders gross/net, and show a few pictures of stuff I've made. Do you think they'd like to hear a little bit about the actual baking? How would you summarize cake and cupcake making in a couple minutes to keep it simple and interesting? What else do you think I should touch on to give them some idea of what it's like to run a home bakery?

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 5

Very nice! I'm sure the students would love to hear about this. But I would switch the emphasis. They will probably be less interested in the specifics of your equipment and investment, so I would focus on how you spend your day. Do you have any products to show them? Bring props, such as a couple of hand tools, your recipe book, and a big bowl of buttercream with little spoons so they can have a taste. And don't forget to mention the importance of bookkeeping when running a business. You don't have to go into detail, but I think a brief overview can be very helpful. Please let us know how it went! Good luck!!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 5

To further what Mimi said, you might want to mention math, not enough to scare them, but as in "this is something that you use math for, and it makes it easy to keep track of what you spend, etc., etc."

fatcatbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fatcatbakery Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 12:50am
post #4 of 5

MimiFix that's a great idea, I have some sugar lilies and roses on hand I could show them too. I also got the okay to bring something I made so I'm making mini cupcakes. 

Thanks both of you.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5

AI am the high school home ec teacher, tell them all that you said, but feed them too. No culinary speakers for my kids unless they give food. Thirty five years of teaching experience and more years of caking...let them eat cake.. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%