How Do I Make Fondant Wings Have A Feathered Look?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 28 May 2014 , 12:34am by bikemom3

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 26

AHi, I want to make a fondant hummingbird, what tools or techniques should I use to make the wings look like real feathers? I don't have a bird mold now and probably don't have time to order one online. Thanks so much! :D

25 replies
weluvpiggies Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 26

Bump :D Anyone? ;)

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 26

I would use my metal sculpting tools - choose a triangular tip and "press" feather's base or - if I had a V gouge tool, I'd be pressing the feather's tip.

Then, hand paint to enhance the feather texture.

It's important to study a good reference photo and follow the feather's "flow" or the bird won't look *quite right*.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 26

Humming bird bodies are probably more about the texture than looking like feathers, and even the wings aren't terribly feathery looking.  Having said that, do you have access to wafer paper?  It might make really good hummingbird wings.  I know this isn't the best answer, but I wanted to try to help with your dilemma.

weluvpiggies Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 26

AThanks so much, no, I don't have wafer paper and I'd probably have to order it online since I've never seen it in a store. I love the picture, I've been staring at hummingbird pics for days! Lol I'll wing it (no pun intended) and if it's not up to my liking, .....on to plan b! :-)

Any suggestions on getting the texture, they look almost 'bumpy' rather than feathery. Should I paint with gel colors or vodka and dust? Thanks :-)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 26

ATexture: a small round icing tip, used on a slant, indenting little half moon shapes. Wings: made separately, with a 50 50 mix to give you time to work, and attached with toothpicks maybe, with a real soft fondant or fondant slurry smoothed down so you don't see the attachment points.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 26

AI would paint with airbrush colors, and dust over when it's dry for shimmer in the appropriate areas.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 26

AHere's a hummingbird I did last week I used a 50/50 gum paste fondant mixed. I cut the wings from a tear drop shaped cutter, cut it in half. Then I feathered the wings using my gum paste tools & the back of an exacto knife. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3227543/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I didn't put a lot of detail in it (trying to keep in customers budget) but it really didn't take long. I found a how to draw a hummingbird photo on Google that simplified the shapes and used that as my guide. Hope this helps

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 26

A

Original message sent by bikemom3

Here's a hummingbird I did last week I used a 50/50 gum paste fondant mixed. I cut the wings from a tear drop shaped cutter, cut it in half. Then I feathered the wings using my gum paste tools & the back of an exacto knife. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3227543/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I didn't put a lot of detail in it (trying to keep in customers budget) but it really didn't take long. I found a how to draw a hummingbird photo on Google that simplified the shapes and used that as my guide. Hope this helps

This has nothing to do with the thread, but have you tried the Wilton 366 tip for leaves? It makes a nice sharp tip on the ends of leaves. Pretty cake! :-D

bikemom3 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 12:27am
post #10 of 26

ANo I haven't, thanks for suggesting it.:smile:

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:25am
post #11 of 26

A

Original message sent by bikemom3

No I haven't, thanks for suggesting it.:smile:

This picture shows the angle how you hold it. You don't have to make the leaves that fat. I hope you didn't mind.. I was just so happy when someone told me about it, so I figured most people would appreciate it ,too. :-D

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3227620/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

bikemom3 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:50am
post #12 of 26

ADon't mind at all! I'm self taught and my piping "skills" always could stand some improvement lol! Thank you very much for the suggestions:-)

weluvpiggies Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 26

AGosh, thanks so much, very helpful everyone! I'm totally procrastinating doing this bird. I'm such a newbie and I expect so much from myself. I'll try though! Not guaranteeing anything! :-) Unfortunately, no air brush here. :( Thx. :-)

bikemom3 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:12pm
post #14 of 26

AYou can do it!!!

weluvpiggies Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 26

AThanks so much for the encouragement! Most days in looking at the cakes here on CC I'm not sure if I'm inspired or discouraged. :-) What are 'chalks' do you mean chalkboard chalk? Sorry, this question may be really dumb. :) Thanks! :-)

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 26

Here is a link for a fab Dove tutorial - maybe use the just the wing part if it's not a dove you are making. I recently made the exact cake featured in the clip - She was  a sweetheart with instructions too.

bikemom3 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 26

You can do it! Don't get discouraged everyone needs to start somewhere. That's the great thing about any art form - your interpretation won't be the same as mine or anyone else's- its totally unique to YOU. Just try it'll be great!

I used non-toxic scrapbooking chalks....I found them at a local craft store.

weluvpiggies Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 5:31pm
post #19 of 26

AYep, great minds think alike! I saw that video too! Chalk is an interesting idea, I've never tried that, I'll look into it. Thanks so much for the ideas and encouragement! :grin:

weluvpiggies Posted 27 May 2014 , 4:04pm
post #20 of 26

Well, I tried it and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be!  My MIL was happy and that's what's most important. :)

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:37pm
post #21 of 26

Your hummingbird is adorable!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 May 2014 , 8:54pm
post #22 of 26

It's gorgeous , well done you!

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 27 May 2014 , 9:38pm
post #23 of 26

No...it's not a dumb question :) and no it's not chalkboard chalks. It is actually petal dusts (or edible dust colors) that come in the form of crayons (chalks). You use a sharp object (like a razor blade) to scrape off the amount of color you need. You can also buy the petal dusts already in powder form in little containers.

Some of the brands available are:

Rainbow dust: http://www.rainbowdust.co.uk/t/our-products

Squires Kitchen (SK): http://www.squires-shop.com/uk/product/sk-professional-dust-food-colour-kit

Sugarflair: http://www.cakedecoratingstore.co.uk/**********-blossom-tint.html

These are just a few. There are many more. Good luck with your hummingbird!

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 27 May 2014 , 9:41pm
post #24 of 26

Oops! Just saw that there was another page to this thread....I guess you now know what 'chalks' are :) And you really have done a lovely job with the hummingbird!

weluvpiggies Posted 27 May 2014 , 9:53pm
post #25 of 26

AThanks! And no problem, you gave me some information I didn't know about the dusts. I did use petal dusts on the bird. I just didn't know they came in a solid form too. :-)

bikemom3 Posted 28 May 2014 , 12:34am
post #26 of 26

AGreat job! Your hummingbird is adorable

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%