Has Anyone Ever Melted Gumpaste To Pour Into A Mold?

Decorating By Achristib Updated 26 Apr 2014 , 11:34pm by Achristib

Achristib Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 7

AIs it possible to microwave store-bought gumpaste until it is soft enough to pour into a silicone mold? Will it harden and turn out okay? Anyone ever tried this?

6 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 7

ANo, but chocolate would probably be easier.

Achristib Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

AI want something a little more sturdy than chocolate, I was hoping to gumpaste would work.

Achristib Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 7

APlus I plan to paint it gold and silver, it will be a belt buckle. I feel like the fondant would be easier to paint on than chocolate.

cazza1 Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 7

Why not just work the gumpaste with your hands until it is soft and push it in to the moulds like you usually do?

Smckinney07 Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 7

AI wondered what kind of mold you were using after I posted that! Yes, you'd need a different kind of paint for chocolate or you can dry dust it.

I wouldn't melt the Gumpaste, I'd just stick it in the mold and pop it in the freezer for a few, it should come out easier (you might need to first brush your mold with cornstarch or something). Then you let it dry outside of the mold, it will be very firm-if you need it to curve around your cake you should dry it on a cake dummy (I wrap them in parchment or wax paper the rub a bit of Crisco so it doesn't stick).

Achristib Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 7

AThank you for that information. I'm making my own mold from an actual belt buckle that I have. It has some little intricate design details that I was afraid would not get picked up by just pressing the gumpaste in. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it turns out before I come up with a Plan B. Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%