Wilton Sport Ball

Decorating By broussde Updated 29 Apr 2014 , 10:43am by Jazz2U

broussde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
broussde Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 8

I am planning on using the sport ball as a second tier.  How would I attach it to the 1st tier.so that  everything is supported?  Can't place it on a cake board--the board will be seen.  Sure could use suggestions on how to do this.

7 replies
CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 8

I cut a very small board circle for mine supported it with 2 bubble straws then one straw through the center to the ball cake. It held the weight may be worth a try

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 8

AYes, as cherries on top said, a small board. You have to trim a small amount from the bottom to keep the cake from rolling away. You can hide the board carefully with fondant, icing, or a border, just like any tiered cake.

broussde Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 12:38am
post #4 of 8

Thank you both,  I will definitely follow your instructions.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 1:16am
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherriesonTop 

I cut a very small board circle for mine supported it with 2 bubble straws then one straw through the center to the ball cake. It held the weight may be worth a try

I do this as well, but you may want to use three straws....the reasoning being that a table with 2 legs won't stand but three legs is very stable. 

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 1:25am
post #6 of 8

I would also put a dowel through the ball, bottom cake & drum.  I use that or 3 dowels when I make my soccer ball cakes.  Good luck!

broussde Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 11:57am
post #7 of 8

I'm thinking a 3 inch board.  Is that sufficient?  Also the 2 straws with a dowel through everything????? 

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 10:43am
post #8 of 8

3" would be good just cut the cake a little to make it flat to balance.  Put 3-4 straws & definitely a dowel all the way through the cake & drum. 

What I would do is put the HOLE in the 3" board beforehand going from the underneath the board, then put a dowel into the cakes below & leave enough dowel extended above that will got through each part  of the ball cake but about 2" below where the top would be.  Put some icing on the board, put the cake on it, cover  with fondant & then you can just "slide" the cake onto the extending dowel without extra stress on the ball cake. 

If you need to decorate the cake when it is on the other cakes, put in the supports & center dowel, dust the top of the cake below then place parchment paper over the dowel & place the ball cake (with the cake board on top).  You can tear out the parchment paper when done.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%