Freezing Painted Royal Icing Cookies??

Baking By jcupcake Updated 27 Apr 2014 , 8:18am by Pastrybaglady

jcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcupcake Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 2

So I have a bit of a conundrum.  I hand painted (with food coloring/vodka) some royal icing sugar cookies today and am delivering to my client's uncle tomorrow who will be transporting them about 8 hours away for a wedding next weekend.  I made several other batches of cookies (not royal icing) that I have frozen and was planning on bagging these individually and then freezing but I'm SO afraid that the paint will bleed.  What would you do?  Leave them at room temp and hope they're not too stale next weekend or take your chance at freezing them?

Any advice is so very much appreciated.

1 reply
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 8:18am
post #2 of 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcupcake 

So I have a bit of a conundrum.  I hand painted (with food coloring/vodka) some royal icing sugar cookies today and am delivering to my client's uncle tomorrow who will be transporting them about 8 hours away for a wedding next weekend.  I made several other batches of cookies (not royal icing) that I have frozen and was planning on bagging these individually and then freezing but I'm SO afraid that the paint will bleed.  What would you do?  Leave them at room temp and hope they're not too stale next weekend or take your chance at freezing them?

Any advice is so very much appreciated.

I'm a little confused (not an uncommon occurence so pardon me) - the title says freezing painted royal icing cookies but in your post you say you are thinking about freezing cookies without royal icing but are painted?  Cookies will definitely taste stale after a week of sitting at room temp.  Freezing is a better option, but royal icing does not freeze well.  It gets mottled and weird looking.  If there's no RI are you painting directly onto the cookies?  I would think the "paint" would be frozen into submission and not bleed, but I'm not sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%