Rice Krispie Treat Question

Decorating By acakedecorator Updated 27 Apr 2014 , 7:11pm by Claire138

acakedecorator Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

I plan to venture into the world of modeling RKTs very soon and I have a question! I have read that some people grind the rice krispies up before making the treats to minimize the bumps in the final product. If I do this, would the butter or marshmallow amount need to be changed? I know that the ratios wouldn't be changing, I just feel like the RKTs wouldn't set up the same if the rice krispies were ground first.

6 replies
eon538 Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 7

I have never ground up mine.  When I use them I either put a thin layer of fondant over the item, and then the outside layer of fondant, or I use a thicker layer of fondant.  I use buttercream on the outside of the RKT and sometimes that will smoothen the rice krispies also.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 7

in that case i would measure the cereal after the whirl in the food processor--but i only do that when i need extra super density--like i made a tall tree and i wanted it very secure--but depending on the design you have in mind you can use a microplane to make it the regular way and scrub off the bumps after it sets up --

i love rkt -- i just sent out some easter 'baskets' made of rkt -- they travel well in the mail--

i use 5 cups cereal and (a lot) of marshmallows a 16 oz bag -- and a quarter cup of butter--sometimes i add vanilla bean or at least a nice shot of vanilla --

best rkt to you

acakedecorator Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 7

Ok, thank you both!

K8 - is that recipe different from one that's just on the cereal box (I don't have one to look at right now) or can I just use any basic RKT recipe?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 7

i remember the rice krispies in the regular recipe is 6 cups, the butter is a quarter cup, it never calls for vanilla and the marshmallow amount might be different--i think it's 6 cups cereal to a 10 oz bag  but not positive--but you know across the years all these recipes evolve and get tweaked here and there by the cereal and marshmallow peeps and by us too so--the 5 c cereal, half stick of butter, shot of vanilla & 16 oz bag of m'mallows is the last recipe i made--i mean if you're into eating them afterwards you can't go wrong with it --

and if you'll just let me say one thing--let it melt-- i put butter in first to get the pan coated--then just all the mrshmllws--put burner on low and walk away--come back & stir every now & then it will all melt--

do you mind if i include a couple points?

whatever recipe you use, if you have a gravity defying design in mind you need a mold of some kind to hold it--for example i like to make birdnests that i let set on an upturned muffin pan till they cure which takes several hours or overnight--

i keep mine over hot water if i am molding several items at once--then again sometimes just packing it into a big bowl and letting it cure then carving out your design can work too-- 

love me some rkt -- wishing you the best rkt success and devouring of same

acakedecorator Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, K8! Thank you for the extra points as well, very helpful!

Claire138 Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 7

If you understand French here  is a link from a well known cake decorator in Marseille (Dolce Dita) explaining very clearly and briefly how to make RKT. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%