Almost A Disaster!

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 20 May 2014 , 2:20pm by FrostedMoon

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 9

My son and his gf have been a part of Relay for Life for the past 5 years.  They always ask for a cake to help celebrate the occasion for the Survivor's Dinner but the timing has always been off.  Finally, this year I was able to donate a cake.  The event was taking place 1.5 hours from my town and I left with plenty of time....

Until....

The freeeway was closed due to a car fire, in an area of the freeway that had NO frontage road.  SO - we hopped off at the 1st exit and relied on Suri to get us there.  We traveled on 8 miles of rutted, bumpy dirt roads, over potholes, over flooded trenches, around coyotes that darted out in front of us, past cows on the side of the road and around a cow nursing her calves in the middle of the road, we drove past blowing tumbleweeds, around tractors, and around downed tree limbs. 

We made it with 5 minutes to spare (I was really hauling butt!!) and the cake looked like it came straight out of the cooler.  Can I get a "woop-woop" for good structure in a cake?!  :party:It was an honor to create this cake for the Survivor's Dinner at University of Arizona's 2014 Relay for Life.  The top is a gumpaste luminaria with a battery operated tea light inside, the rhinestone base is a cake dummy.

8 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 9

OMG congrats on what seems to be the worst cake delivery nightmare I've ever heard of! Your cake looks GREAT! Woop Woop!!!!!

I would have needed an ambulance by the time I got there.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 9

wow... congrats! Great cake for a great cause!

jking513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jking513 Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 9

What a nightmare! Whoop-whoop, looks amazing!

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

OMG congrats on what seems to be the worst cake delivery nightmare I've ever heard of! Your cake looks GREAT! Woop Woop!!!!!

Honestly, after about mile 3 of the dirt road, and the flooded wash, AND the COW nursing her calves it became comical!  I had my kids in the car and we were laughing at that point.  I had the cake snug inside a large box so I had NO idea what was happening in there - we were (half jokingly) creating an inspirational story about smashed cake, topped with a light that never dies, signifying the fight that never ever ends (or something like that...lol!)

Moral of the story - structure, structure, structure.  I used SPS on this one, everything was TOTALLY level, I used a dam to hold the fillings in, I let it settle overnight, it was nice and chilled and it stayed chilled the entire ride.  I had that baby in a heavy, duty box, all taped & wrapped up & it had an ice pack inside, bagged & wrapped in the base of the box.  

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

Honestly, after about mile 3 of the dirt road, and the flooded wash, AND the COW nursing her calves it became comical!  I had my kids in the car and we were laughing at that point.  I had the cake snug inside a large box so I had NO idea what was happening in there - we were (half jokingly) creating an inspirational story about smashed cake, topped with a light that never dies, signifying the fight that never ever ends (or something like that...lol!)

Moral of the story - structure, structure, structure.  I used SPS on this one, everything was TOTALLY level, I used a dam to hold the fillings in, I let it settle overnight, it was nice and chilled and it stayed chilled the entire ride.  I had that baby in a heavy, duty box, all taped & wrapped up & it had an ice pack inside, bagged & wrapped in the base of the box.  

Haaa haa haa, my kids have saved me so many times by making me laugh in terrible situations. So glad to here that you took the whole experience the way you did. Your story definitely brightened my morning :wink:

It also helped to solidify my decision to buy the SPS system!

(Storms out of thread to the cake decorating sticky)....... LEAH!!!

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 9

You had me laughing out loud!  I'm so so glad the cake made it there....not just in one piece, but gorgeous as well.  Well done!!  Woop-woop!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 9

whooop whoooop ! this is is exactly why i climate control my cakes for delivery--hahahaha

great story great cake --i need to get my heart rate down now-- ;)

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 9

Fantastic!  Love hearing how good structure (hooray for SPS!!) and planning (level, settled, cold) can get a cake through otherwise disastrous conditions.   Congrats to you and thanks for sharing! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%