Need Opinion On A Business Name!

Business By schug13 Updated 27 Apr 2014 , 3:22pm by MimiFix

schug13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schug13 Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 13

I'm racking my brain for business name ideas. My last name is Schug which brought me to wanting to use the word sugar but can't decide if i want to go with Schugar as play with the word or Sugar. my debate is if people would actually get it or be completely confused and unsure of what it even says. What are your thoughts?  

12 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 13

ASweet as Schug Cakes by Schug Or even just plain Schug with a cute tag line. ("There's nothing sweeter"?)

I think "Schugar" is confusing and my mind doesn't want to pronounce it as "sugar." Looks more like skoo-gar or something.

schug13 Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 13

AThanks my husband and I thought so too!

SunshineCarbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineCarbs Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 13

I think Schugar is really cute, and quite personal. I don't think it would cause much confusion. It's not a hard spelling for most English speaking North Americans; we're used to names like Schumaker and Schue. It's unique, which is a big deal these days; while you're only competing locally for most business, you need to compete with *everyone* for website names, FB stuff, and an easily googled business.

(I got some criticism from calling my business Sunshine & Carbs because 'making people think of carbohydrates' and baked goods was somehow bad (I'm supposed to hide it?), but it's *actually* named after my loaner toddler - after he had managed to spend the day running 3 adults ragged, and charming the heck out of everything, my roommate watched him run off *again*, and said, "Boy, that child is made of sunshine and carbs, isn't he?")

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 13

AI like Schugar!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 13

AYou also could play with it like Schugar's Sugars etc Edit sorry I read it wrong - thought your last name was Schugar

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 13

Sugar Hugs

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 13

AI like Schugar too! I didn't doubt the pronunciation. Plus if you put a graphic with it it will help.

schug13 Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 13

AI'm thinking Black Schugar Cake Co. Thank you all for the input!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 7:51am
post #10 of 13

I think Black Schugar Cake Co. is intriguing and memorable.  It would be cool to have black sugar looking sparkles on your business cards too!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 11:15am
post #11 of 13

AI wouldn't use the sch unless you want people to not be able to find you because they're not spelling it right.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 13

AOhhh, yes. I agree, didn't think about that. How about "Sugar by Schugar" or something like that.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by schug13 

I'm thinking Black Schugar Cake Co. Thank you all for the input!

If your target market is confined to people who already know your name, then Black Schugar Cake Co. is a great choice. If, however, you're hoping to expand your market reach, think about it appeals to your intended target market.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%