Transporting A Wedding Cake...

Decorating By dancinchef81 Updated 27 Apr 2014 , 5:09pm by trista4120

dancinchef81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dancinchef81 Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 16

AI am making my first 3 tiered stacked wedding cake and I have to transport it with only the use of a 4 door sedan. Extremely nervous and wondered if anyone has any tips for a successful arrival and packaging...also in Las Vegas so its going to be at least 85 or above degrees already outside within the next two weeks.

15 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 16

Assuming you have access to the sedan now, go ahead and figure out the flattest part of the car.  Do the seats fold down flat, or can you slide the passenger seat way back and sit the cake in the floorboard?  If not, use towels, shelf liner, plywood, or whatever you need to turn the back seat into a solid, level surface.  Don't be afraid to get the cake board or some dummies out there for a "dry fitting".

Once that's done, just make sure you support each tier of the cake properly and use a master dowel rod through the center.  What to do about the hot weather?  Start the car and make sure it's nice and chilly before you put the cake in.  If at all possible, I recommend travelling with the cake directly from the fridge.  I have found that a cold cake travels best.  Other than that, drive carefully!  Hope that helps!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 16

Use SPS for your support system.  It works!  And will put your mind at ease for transport.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

Use SPS for your support system.  It works!  And will put your mind at ease for transport.

Do you get a commission from this company, SPS?  Are you a paid representative for them? Do you sell them? You always sound like an advert for them.

It's totally okay if you are, but just be upfront about it. Jmo. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 12:12am
post #5 of 16

leah can speak for herself--but in the meantime i mean she just believes in this product--she is not associated with it beyond that--

and it is foolproof--i like it too--

but she just promotes it 'cause it just works great

cakefat Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 12:26am
post #6 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

leah can speak for herself--

Then please let her. 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 12:41am
post #7 of 16

in no way am i not allowing nor standing in the way of anyone to speak on any subject--even you ;)

pms ensure no one else will respond--not so on the boards, my friend

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 1:44am
post #8 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakefat 

Do you get a commission from this company, SPS?  Are you a paid representative for them? Do you sell them? You always sound like an advert for them.

It's totally okay if you are, but just be upfront about it. Jmo. 

SPS is not a company, they are Single Plate Separators, and leah_s named 3 places you can buy from in her signature line. (she was also kind enough to make a tutorial on how to use them--for the benefit of all--all for free!)

leah_s Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 2:16am
post #9 of 16

AI am not associated with Bakery Crafts the manufacturer of SPS, nor any wholesaler or retailer of the product. I do not get kickbacks for recommending SPS. Or even free product. I absolutely believe the product. And many thanks for those who defended my honor. I would have responded sooner but I was working.

cakefat Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 4:38am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

I am not associated with Bakery Crafts the manufacturer of SPS, nor any wholesaler or retailer of the product. I do not get kickbacks for recommending SPS. Or even free product. I absolutely believe the product.
And many thanks for those who defended my honor. I would have responded sooner but I was working.

Defend your honor? What are you talking about? Nobody was questioning your 'honor' or even attacking you. I just asked a valid question as you tend to go on-and-on about the SPS. So you just like them- fair enough!  Did you use it in that twinkie cake too?

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 4:44am
post #11 of 16

If you are traveling with it stacked, be prepared...they are HEAVY! 

leah_s Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 16

AYes I used SPS for the Twinkie cake. Every cake.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 16

and to go one step further--proper support is of course an elemental/essential part of cake deco--i mean you can't leave home without it right--sps does make it literally foolproof --

so all that to say what a Sweet Sweet testament to the diligent brilliance of Leah_S to so prolifically promote (arguably) the most user friendly support system so much that it's easy to think she should be being compensated for it--even though she's not of course--

so here's many multiplied thank yous to Leah_S--just think of all the cakes and cakers, offspsring you've saved the bacon of all these years

*=D> applause 

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 12:11am
post #14 of 16

I just saw this and want to chime in and thank Leah again for the sps recommendation, I use them for anything over 2 tiers and have to say they are wonderful.. I recently did a 2 tier one of which was a DB cake and I used sps with a sigh of relief for Leah! IMO Leah SHOULD get commission from them.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 2:05am
post #15 of 16

I used to deliver with dowels and switching to SPS is an amazing difference! Thanks to Leah_S for promoting it so much. If you don't believe its a great product cakefat you can read several threads on here where other members rave about the difference it makes! Its disposable and affordable!

trista4120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trista4120 Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 16

AI am fairly new here too and would like to share.   Leah,  has been very helpful to me. She recommended the Sps and it saved me a lot of stress.  The customer  picked up the three tiered topsy turvy cake and it made it safely to the location in 40 minutes all in one piece, I did advise the customer  to have her suv air conditioning on high prior to arrival.  This cake was heavy so they had someone to assist them.  Also  the temperature was pretty warm here in February  for N. Calif. 75dg.   I also used a box from a you tube  video I watched. It is a  travel cake box. I set the bottom of the box  down on the suv flat surface first.  Laid down a 1/2 " round plywood board for sturdiness so cake would not slide. Box cost .98 cents home depot.

if interested in the box idea. I know it's not for everyone but it works for me. FYI-   Customer gives me a deposit for board in case it is not returned. Good  luck! 

If Intersted Here is the video for cakebox -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUAt7TfI_H0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you Leah,  for suggesting the Sps for my cakes. I would of loved to seen the video you created mentioned above for the Sps . :-)Maybe you can repost?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%