Fondant/cake Help

Decorating By acakes215 Updated 25 Apr 2014 , 4:57pm by georgiacakelady

acakes215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakes215 Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 2

AI been having a problem. The last two cakes I have made started sinking on the bottom. Each tier is 4" tall with 2-3 layers inbetween. I use a BC frosting in cake smoothing consistency and then wait till it crusts before covering with fondant. Once I cover it with fondant and finish decorating it looks great. I box it up and it's ready for delivery the next day. When I go to take it out of the box, i notice that the bottom tier has sank and the fondant has the ripple effect.

What did I do wrong? As mentioned above, each tier is 4" tall with 2-3 layers in between. I have a cake board under each tier and dowel rods in between too. I also compress the cake layers as I BC each layer and let it crust. The BC is smooth by the time I go to add the fondant. Should I be adding a smalled cake board in between the layers too? As in, every 2" add a cake board with dowel rods under it for support so it doesn't sink? I dont understand why the cake keeps sinking. please help....

1 reply
georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 2

AWhat kind of dowels are you using and how many? once you fill the layers, do you let it rest before actually icing it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%