Icing Changing Colour

Decorating By miandamills Updated 24 Apr 2014 , 10:02pm by miandamills

miandamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miandamills Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 10

Having real serious problems.. made a cake for a customer and turned out really well!! Made it Monday and by Tuesday afternoon cake changed from pink to yellow !!!  Dont understand the only think i put on it was shimmer dust and the bow was made in the same icing just a few shades darker with the same shimmer dust.. Whats going on???  Please help as this cannot be changed now and very disappointed..   

9 replies
SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 10

I'll be curious to see if you get any answers.  I had this happen recently with pink too.  I made 150 or so little pink fondant (I colored myself from white fondant) flowers to go around the sides of a cake by the time I got done they were all different shades of pink to the lightest being white.  I wasn't sure what happened.  It was like the color just disappeared in them. 

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 10

I'll be curious to see if you get any answers.  I had this happen recently with pink too.  I made 150 or so little pink fondant (I colored myself from white fondant) flowers to go around the sides of a cake by the time I got done they were all different shades of pink to the lightest being white.  I wasn't sure what happened.  It was like the color just disappeared in them. 

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 10

Did you colour the fondant yourself? Or did you buy it pink? And what brand is the fondant (& brand of colour if you coloured it yourself)? 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 10

AWas the cake in contact with direct sunlight or fluorescent light? This could also fade your pink (purple too) fondant.. Happened to me before :( i used homemade MMF then and tinted with pink Wilton food gel.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 10

Red food coloring is very unstable...Purple changes to blue really fast because of that. Depending on what you put it into, red fades really fast. It also depends on what type of red dye they used to begin with, so there are a lot of variables.

What kind of food coloring was it?Some brands are worse than others for changing color. For darker colors I tend to use the gel or paste colors, and sometimes I'll use powder colors because they don't fade as much and you don't need as much to get the color.

It isn't just the reds, either, I tend to make everything darker to begin with because when gumpaste and fondant dry the color tends to lighten up a shade or two.

miandamills Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 10

No the cake had been left in box on the side in the kitchen out of direct sunlight and I had been a t work all day so the heating hadnt been on either..I use Sugarflair paste, christmas red and coloured white fondant myself and it  was a new one id just bought..I use asda own and never had a problem with it ..I dont seem to have a problem when colouring fondant darker shades its only seems when i do pastel shades.. does anyone know if using cornflour to roll icing out would make a difference as its the only thing ive done different to in the past???

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miandamills 

No the cake had been left in box on the side in the kitchen out of direct sunlight and I had been a t work all day so the heating hadnt been on either..I use Sugarflair paste, christmas red and coloured white fondant myself and it  was a new one id just bought..I use asda own and never had a problem with it ..I dont seem to have a problem when colouring fondant darker shades its only seems when i do pastel shades.. does anyone know if using cornflour to roll icing out would make a difference as its the only thing ive done different to in the past???

My guess is the ASDA fondant; I lived in the UK for a number of years and find that the quality of any of the ASDA products varied wildly; I think they purchase their "Own Brand" from who ever is the lowest bidder and don't worry too much about the consistency of the product.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, it's probably something in the fondant reacting with the food coloring...I once iced a cake with purple icing, but it in a covered box and drove an hour to my inlaws' house, by the time I got there the icing had turned blue. No light, heat or anything else invovled, just the reaction of the icing and the color.

miandamills Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 10

Thankyou for everyones comments .. im going to experiment over the next few days on small peices of rolled out coloured icing and use some different icing and colorus and see what the results are and i will post!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%