Sheet Cake Filling

Decorating By Inga1 Updated 21 Apr 2014 , 7:51pm by Inga1

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am baking a sheet cake for a retirement party Wednesday. I am using 2 boxes vanilla cake mix in each of two 12 x 18 2" deep pans. For the filling I would like to use a thin layer of buttercream and then over that a jar of Smuckers Butterscotch Caramel topping before adding the second layer. Has anyone ever used the caramel topping Or will it run all over? Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 5

I have not used the caramel topping, but for "squishier" fillings, use a stiff buttercream to create a dam around the outer edge of the bottom layer.  Then make sure not to overfill with the topping.

There are many posts on CC and videos on YouTube about how to pipe the dam.

Inga1 Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 5

Yes thank you. I do intend on piping a dam and have also made a foam core cake board to hold the weight

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 5

You know I bought a jar of that a while back, on impulse, thought I'd drizzle it over cupcake icing swirls.  It was runny as could be.  Ended up throwing it out.  It had no viscosity.  It might work, it might just melt into the cake  ?????? IDK

Inga1 Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 5

perhaps mixing it in with the buttercream and decreasing some of the liquid would do the trick and still give the caramel flavor?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%