Cake Lace....plz Help Me Choose

Decorating By Ayeshasi Updated 21 Apr 2014 , 6:08pm by caketinsmith

Ayeshasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayeshasi Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 8

Hi. Im looking at cake lace and iv seen claire bowmen cake lace mats and powder. Searching more and saw magic icing powder from Lakeland. Claire Bowmen items are much more expensive than any others.

Can anyone advise please?

Are the other cake lace powders same as Claire Bowmen ones...ie. are they as flexible too?

7 replies
Ayeshasi Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 8

anyone?? PLz??

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 8

AI have only ever used Sugarveil. Sorry, I can't advise.

pookashnoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookashnoo Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 8

I've just invested in Claire Bowman's cake lace and I think its great! I don't think its expensive, I found a little goes a really long way and the mats are half the price of sugarveil's. Haven't seen Lakeland's version, off to investigate..

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 8

I've only used sugarveil's powder but I do have mats from both sugarveil  & Claire Bowman. Both work really well although as preference I prefer the latter only bc of the detailing, it's really beautiful. I think Sugarveil are coming out with new ones though so can't say they don't or won't have prettier ones too. 

I can tell you though that a little goes a long way so don't make up a full packet unless you need a fair bit as in my experience it doesn't store well. I spoke to a rep at ICE last year and they told me it can be stored for a few weeks and remain supple but after that it goes hard.

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 8

AI've just started trying lace myself. Tried a few and decided to stick with sugarveil.

To keep costs down, I bought a cheap Chinese mold online, it was large and cost me $20USD including freight. I was impressed at the density and quality for something so cheap.

The mats seem to come in different depths which affects setting time and really does vary from brand to brand. I was having huge issues so contacted sugarveil who I have to say, were extremely helpful. I wound up setting in the oven for an hour at 60 degrees C. Mainly because of humidity. This affects setting far more than I imagined it would. It started to turn sticky and soft again while sitting out so get it covered and in a bag quickly if you're not in a dry area.

They say to use icing sugar to stop sticking, this did nothing for me. I lightly greased, set in the oven and it pulled out perfectly.

Not specific to the brands you are asking about but perhaps some of my learning curves can help.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3222643/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Ayeshasi Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 1:09am
post #7 of 8

AThanks for the replies. I told my husband I would love claire bowmen lace mat and he purchased it online. Woo hoo. Can't wait till it arrives.

caketinsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketinsmith Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

Hello everyone ,

Karens Edible Cake Lace is the new product in the market which is very good interms of prices and quality.

Edible Cake Lace - 500 Grams - White Premium Quality ( 2 Part Formulation Powder + Liquid) = £ 13.99

Edible Cake Lace - 200 Grams - Silver Premium Quality ( Premix ) = £ 13.99

Edible Cake Lace - 200 Grams - Gold Premium Quality ( Premix ) = £ 13.99

Lace Mats from £ 7 

The mixture will make soft paste which can be spread onto the pattern Lace Mats and let it dry .
Drying can be done at the normal temperature or using the oven for faster curing.
Once dried the Edible Lace can be peeled from the lace mat and can be used to decorate the cakes giving it a stylish and creative look. 
The Edible Cake Lace is soft , flexible and pliable.
The Edible Cake Lace have been made to the highest British Quality.

For more information

www.ediblecakelace.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ediblecakelace

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%