Question

Business By memes38261 Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 3:08am by doitallmom

memes38261 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
memes38261 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:32am
post #1 of 19

icon_rolleyes.gif i was wondering do you use cake mixes or make from scratch for all your cakes
thank you
marsha

18 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:34am
post #2 of 19

Ouch, you are going to find all sorts of different points of views and oppinions, can get a little sticky... I personally like doctored up cake mixes.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:38am
post #3 of 19

Doctored cake mixes for me also.

viewbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
viewbaker Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:42am
post #4 of 19

I work for a large banquet hall and I use Doctored up cake mixes for most of the cakes (carrot,spice and weird flavors from scratch) But noone has any clue there there box mixes .....They are just more stable and keep everything standard icon_biggrin.gif

lilkimberb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilkimberb Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:43am
post #5 of 19

I just found out about cake extenders and I have to say adding them to a cake mix makes them taste great!!!!!!!!

memes38261 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
memes38261 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:49am
post #6 of 19

thank you gang for all your input . Cake extenders such as please , i sometimes use puidding mix
thank you
marsha

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:55am
post #7 of 19

I also use doctored cake mixes and have just started using cake extender in mine.
Bradymom

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:58am
post #8 of 19

I use doctored cake mixes as well. My newest favorite is the White Almond Sour Cream. Totally Awesome thumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:04am
post #9 of 19

When I am up & running...I will do all mine from scratch thumbs_up.gif

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 19

I'm all scratch.

It's just because my mother is a freaky health person and we were never allowed to have pretty much anything boxed as kids so I just got used to doing it that way. (I once went to a sleep over party and came home and told her that we had "really fancy pancakes" that jen's mom made from a box. I couldn't understand why she was so upset. Now I know how funny that is because the woman used to get up really early and bake stuff for us from scratch for weekend breakfasts! )

PLUS I'm paying a lot for culinary school right now to be a pastry chef and we have to do it all from scratch so I might as well do it that way at home.
icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 19

save time and money, I use mixes, doctored of course. Never had any complaints and everyone seems to think they are scratchers... so I just carry on. Being retired military spouse, I have access to our commissary so my mixes are usually only about 60 cents.... after holidays like christmas, halloween, easter, and v-day, they have those sprinkles ones on clearance for like 30 cents... so that is my route!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 19

I bake all mine from scratch, were i live, a top chef will never use a boxed cake, but is it the same there? top cake designers use boxed cakes?
Not so sound snob- belive me, I wish I could do it the easy way.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 19

Doctored cake mixes here too. I love the flavors, taste and texture of them.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 19

Doctored mixes for me too. I worked in a restaurant for seven years and we used the big 50# bag of mix that you just add water too. AACK! icon_confused.gif After all that, I still cheat and use a box, but it has to be doctored! icon_wink.gif

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 19

Doctored cake mixes. I use to work for a local bake shoppe (miss it a bunch!! shouldn't have left) and we used cake mixes for all of cakes.

I find that it's easier than scratch and if you add your own little touch, you make it your own anyway, so wouldn't almost be considered scratch?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 19

Mixes - sometimes doctored, sometimes not.

Funniest thing is when I started as a kid, years ago and knew nothing of doctoring and was working with straight mixes, you would not believe the number of people that would tell me how much better my cake was than those from a box! I just said thanks. icon_wink.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:21pm
post #17 of 19

I'm a scratch girl myself! One year, I didn't feel the best ( I was expecting) and I cried because the only thing I had enough energy to do was bake my DD a boxed cake for her birthday. LOL! She wasn't even having a party or anything, it's just a tradition to get a fresh baked cake of your choice in our home!!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:38pm
post #18 of 19

I'm a scratch making cake person. I have tried different doctoring things mentioned here and they can't compare, imo... Plus, for me, the reason to buy or make a scratch cake is to get something different than what can be gotten from the grocery store or bakery - not just in what they look like, but how they taste.

Plus, I'm a natural ingredient kind of person and it just doesn't feel right to be giving kids especially even MORE artificial stuff... Yes, people say, it's just cake and if you eat it in moderation, but if you start counting the number of times you make that exception, it's an awful lot of exceptions..

Of course, I say this the night I order pizza from Dominos, but... I TRY at least.

melissa

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:08am
post #19 of 19

Too funny, Melissa!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%