Brand Newbie

Decorating By mochaboi Updated 1 Mar 2005 , 7:02pm by m0use

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 12

Hello all. My name is Nick. I am new here and I have enjoyed the wonderful tips and advice so far. Last night, I attempted to ice and decorate my first simple white cake. I am very happy with it being my first try. While baking is heavily in my family, I have just been "bitten by the bug" recently and I am having fun. I would really like to take it further... Here is a picture of my first cake. Please, I welcome all critiques, comments all that good stuff. Thanks and I hope to use a lot more information from here.

http://www.dawomb.com/cake2.jpg

11 replies
-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 12

Welcome aboard, Nick. icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 12

Welcome aboard!
Not too bad for your first cake. Looks like there might be some crumbs in your icing. Here's a tip or two- never let your knife touch the cake, always keep the knife in contact with your icing and always use a forward motion to ice your cake until it's entirely coated, then go back and forth. I have found that when I am getting the initial coating of icing on, if I bring my knife in a backwards motion for any reason- I get crumbs.
Hope this helps!

Jennkrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennkrem Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 12

Nice start on your cake. I would recommend the icing tip from Wilton. It simplifies things and makes it easier to spread the icing evenly.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 12

hey, way da go!!! that's great for your first cake. my friend made a birthday cake for me last year and, well, let's just say, you could have done a better job. icon_smile.gif sorry lisa, i still love you!! icon_surprised.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 12

hey, are you a computer whiz? you posted a picture of your cake on the first try. i'm impressed! icon_lol.gif stick with this site and you'll go far!!

mochaboi Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks a lot everyone.. The feedback really helps me. I am going to be practicing a lot because I want to make my mom a very beautiful cake for her birthday coming up. So I'll be posting my progression.

Diane, As a matter of fact, I am a web designer by trade so I guess that does make me a geek/Whiz... icon_lol.gif

mochaboi Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks a lot everyone.. The feedback really helps me. I am going to be practicing a lot because I want to make my mom a very beautiful cake for her birthday coming up. So I'll be posting my progression.

Diane, As a matter of fact, I am a web designer by trade so I guess that does make me a geek/Whiz... icon_lol.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 12

Hi Nick...welcome to our little corner of the world! You did a fine job on your first cake! You should be proud! I think you'll enjoy this website...there are so many people on here that are having a blast decorating cakes and don't mind sharing their knowledge and expertise! It won't be long and you too will be addicted! icon_biggrin.gif

mochaboi Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks Missey,

I think I am already addicted...LOL I'm trying to think of a list of people I can give cakes to just so I can make more. icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 12

LOL!!! That sound just like me! Any excuse to make a cake!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 12

Cool, another computer techie- just like me icon_biggrin.gif
What I like about being here is being able to provide cake advice and computer advice for those who need it. I love being able to help people icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%