Well...that's A Lot Of Spam.

Lounge By AZCouture Updated 13 May 2016 , 1:39pm by Heath

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 11:02pm
post #91 of 175

A

Original message sent by Mimimakescakes

He also barrels in here every Saturday morning declaring , Mimi I NEED cake.  I better get going he will be here soon. 

:D:D

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 2 May 2014 , 11:17pm
post #92 of 175

Looks like CC has given up defending the site.  Oh, well.

Maybe they should just create a category called "Spam" and ask all spammers to start their new threads there???  That might be too much effort to expend though . . .

Liz

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 May 2014 , 11:35pm
post #93 of 175

while the ovens on I might go watch a hockey, football, soccer, basketball, or game of thrones...or find my true love again.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 May 2014 , 11:43pm
post #94 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes   
Sorry Mimi, You can call me Chelle if you like. (Chelle, you knew I was kidding, right?)

Dear Chelle, share your white chocolate mud cake recipe and all is forgiven! ;-D 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 May 2014 , 11:49pm
post #95 of 175

A

Original message sent by liz at sugar

Looks like CC has given up defending the site.  Oh, well.

Maybe they should just create a category called "Spam" and ask all spammers to start their new threads there???  That might be too much effort to expend though . . .

Liz

Hahaha! That's definitely too much effort.

MBalaska Posted 3 May 2014 , 12:50am
post #96 of 175

Ok the spam-skito swatter is overwhelmed, now need some spam-coils, and a spam-zapper :mischeivous:

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 3 May 2014 , 12:56am
post #97 of 175

This is driving me insane. I like to browse through the recent posts as I procrastinate from studying for finals...now since all the recent posts are spam, I don't have a good excuse for procrastinating. :(

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 3 May 2014 , 12:58am
post #98 of 175

Yep.

Over 200 just this morning. They've all been banned and deleted.

Please be patient guys, its just me moderating at the moment and I am trying to run a business as well. I'm hoping that Heath has those additional Moderators-in-Training all lined up and ready to go!

But anyhoo...did anyone end up watching the game?

AZCouture Posted 3 May 2014 , 3:10am
post #99 of 175

Sorry to hear you're the only one working on all that crap. :( I'd help if I could!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 3 May 2014 , 3:12am
post #100 of 175

How strange, the spam at this moment if for Australian football.  The joke is that whilst hubby is watching the footy I run away to play with cake.  Now I can't escape. HELP

cazza1 Posted 3 May 2014 , 3:14am
post #101 of 175

O.K. they got bored with Australia and moved on to Britain. HELP, I detest football of any sort.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 4:03am
post #102 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Dear Chelle, share your white chocolate mud cake recipe and all is forgiven! ;-D 

Of course I knew you were joking , I have quite a sense of humor myself . 

I think you will find you have a nice surprise in your PM inbox. 

Chelle . 

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 4:04am
post #103 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

O.K. they got bored with Australia and moved on to Britain. HELP, I detest football of any sort.

Cazza another thing we have in common. 

AZCouture Posted 3 May 2014 , 4:05am
post #104 of 175

A

Original message sent by Mimimakescakes

Of course I knew you were joking , I have quite a sense of humor myself . 

I think you will find you have a nice surprise in your PM inbox.  Chelle . 

Awwwwww!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 7:45am
post #105 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Haha!  Knew that wouldn't last long - British football is only for the really determined fan - now it's boxing!

MBalaska Posted 3 May 2014 , 8:07am
post #106 of 175

As long as we're filling in time here, MIMIfix let us know how the white chocolate mud cake comes out.  I want to try it with strawberries.

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 3 May 2014 , 8:23am
post #107 of 175

Spammy Update:  Some of the spam messages are not receiving notifications, so if you see a spam post or thread please hit the red flag button! It helps me a lot to deal with it, because as soon as it is flagged I get a notification and off I go.

Quite a few of these are getting through the "spam filter", which does not appear to be working all that well as of late.

This current crop of spam-peddlers are creating IDs, which means a lot more work to eradicate them.

Sorry for the hassle everyone, I have alerted Heath and Huddler, so hopefully things will improve soon!

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 3 May 2014 , 9:25am
post #108 of 175

They're still coming…ugh!

cazza1 Posted 3 May 2014 , 9:28am
post #109 of 175

The trouble with hitting the spam button is that you have to actually go in to the thread and there are heaps of them.  I'll go and do 5 and hopefully someone else will to and so on and so on.  I'll write spammed on the ones I've done.

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 3 May 2014 , 9:39am
post #110 of 175

I just did about 10…lost count! :)  

Not that it will do any good, I PM'd 3 posters and suggested they were in the wrong forum, unless they're looking for cake recipes! ;)

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 3 May 2014 , 11:54am
post #111 of 175

Okay... 

I just flagged an entire page of recent threads... just to see a new page appear of spam when I returned...

This is seriously out of hand... 

Other than flagging and a faulty spam filter, is there anything else that is supposed to keep this from happening?

MimiFix Posted 3 May 2014 , 11:58am
post #112 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAtKT 

Other than flagging and a faulty spam filter, is there anything else that is supposed to keep this from happening?

Business owners who show up for work.

costumeczar Posted 3 May 2014 , 2:36pm
post #113 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Business owners who show up for work.

I just wet myself laughing.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 May 2014 , 4:01pm
post #114 of 175

There are so many ways to eliminate spamming such as this on a website…but if you are going bankrupt it's difficult to pay for them.  I still think CC is out of cash…

MimiFix Posted 3 May 2014 , 4:13pm
post #115 of 175

Nobody's watching the gate.

Quote:

The gates of hell are various locations on the surface of the world that have acquired a legendary reputation for being entrances to the underworld. Often they are found in regions of unusual geological activity, particularly volcanic areas, or sometimes at lakes, caves or mountains.

Or, as in our case, found near Seattle, Washington.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 3 May 2014 , 6:12pm
post #116 of 175

I have isolated 80% of the spam in the last few days to one geographic area and it is now blocked, but spammers use proxies so they will probably just change to a proxy in another region.. so not sure how long that will work.

We already use Captcha and email verification to make registration more difficult for spammers, but their bots seem to be successfully matching those steps.

The last resort is that we are going to have to make every new registered user be approved by a moderator or admin.  This is going to make joining CC for legitimate reasons a hassle as people looking for immediate help are likely not going to be able to ask their question right away..

Unfortunately this is not something we can enable on our own, Huddler will have to do it, so I am not sure exactly when this verification step will be live.

MimiFix Posted 3 May 2014 , 6:20pm
post #117 of 175

Thank you for letting us know. Needless to say, this has been frustrating for everyone. Good luck.

MBalaska Posted 3 May 2014 , 6:42pm
post #118 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath 

".............. we are going to have to make every new registered user be approved by a moderator or admin.  This is going to make joining CC for legitimate reasons a hassle as people looking for immediate help are likely not going to be able to ask their question right away...........""

With your new proposal the new people seeking to join the forum would then have to wait a bit until they are approved by a mod. They can still read the forums while they are waiting.

It might be a good opportunity to invite them to use the search function to look for the topics, recipes, and tutorials that most interest them, while they are pending.  Many questions are answered through previous postings.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 9:14pm
post #119 of 175

AI like recommending the search feature, as we should all do that before asking. I had mentioned this before, but can new users be limited to maybe 2-3 posts until they are verified by a mod? A legitimate user seeking immediate help could ask their question without spamming the board. Just brainstorming...

costumeczar Posted 3 May 2014 , 10:18pm
post #120 of 175

A

Original message sent by cupadeecakes

I like recommending the search feature, as we should all do that before asking. I had mentioned this before, but can new users be limited to maybe 2-3 posts until they are verified by a mod? A legitimate user seeking immediate help could ask their question without spamming the board. Just brainstorming...

That's a good idea, but i don't know that you can give permission for limited posts, that seems like it wouldn't be something that you could put into place easily. They could just use bots to do three posts each for all of their fake accounts.

The easiest thing to do would be to require new registrants to verify by clicking a link or entering a code that's sent to the registering email address, like mailchimp makes you do. They have to deal with spam laws, so their verification process is pretty thorough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%