Mmf Question

Decorating By MominSC Updated 19 Sep 2005 , 10:23pm by MariaLovesCakes

MominSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MominSC Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 12

Ok so I am attempting for a 3rd time to make MMF. Here is my question cause I need to find out what I am doing wrong. I don't have one of those fancy KA so I am having to work with what I have... icon_redface.gif It says to melt the MM, but here seems to be the problem the MM fluff up and dont really melt per say...?? Being I don't have a KA, what is the best way for me to make this stuff ? TIA

Beth

11 replies
MominSC Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 12

Just trying to bump this to the top so someone can help me...ASAP icon_smile.gif

Beth

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 12

I take it out of the micro once it fluffs up and stir it. Most of the marshmallows are melted once you stir. If not pop it back in for a few seconds and then stir again.

HTH
Berta

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 12

I dont have a KA either but have made MMF a couple of times. Most importantly, make sure that you get the mms melted as much as you can. Stir them and return to microwave if needed. They should at least be pourable. Then add the ps and water a little at a time so you don't burn up your mixer. Don't know if this helps or not. Have you looked at the step by step instructions in the how to articles? That might help more. That is what I use when making the MMF.

MominSC Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 12

TY for responding....yes I have but I always seem to make such a mess lol Going to try again tonight icon_eek.gif

Beth

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 12

I'm sure you will do just fine. It is not a clean job to do. If I can do it, you can too.

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 12

Be sure to use a big enough bowl so it doesn't over flow, and use lots of shortening to avoid sticking.

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 12

I have a KA and never use it for making mmf. I actually feel it's easier to make without it. As people have said..

1. Use large bowl as marshmallows will puff up
2. coat bowl with shortening
3. I add a couple tbs of water and/or flavoring to marshmallows before nuking
4. I sift all powdered sugar into a large plastic bag so it is easy to pour out
5. when marshmallows are melted (they may still have shape, but should dissolve when stirred) they are done...VERY HOT so don't touchicon_smile.gif
5. When taken out of microwave, I start adding some powdered sugar right into bowl 1st and stir (coat spoon with crisco).
6. I keep adding PS and stirring until it mixture pulls away from sides, then dump some PS on counter and dump mixture on that and use my hands (should be cooled off someicon_smile.gif to knead and keep adding rest of PS till it's nice ball.
7. I usually add coloring later by kneading in, but can be added to melted marshmallows and stirred in before adding PS.

Thaliaicon_smile.gif

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 12

ooops...besides the fact I can't count (lol) I forgot to add that I use shortening on my hands from teh time I start to knead it. Then when I start rolling it, I use shortening on the counter and roller.

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with Thalia. This is how I make my MMF also. I tried it in my KA and didn't think it did as well as my hands. It does require some manual labor, but I think it works the best.

MominSC Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 12

Wow!! Thank you to all and a BIG ty to Thalia!! I just finished dinner and now tummy is full. I figured I would go try it now lol Kids are getting ready for bed, so I can have some tome to play...(just realized it was 6 pm) they will be in the bed in 1 hour 30 min..so then I will play... thumbs_up.gif

TY all again!!

Hugs
Beth

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MominSC

Ok so I am attempting for a 3rd time to make MMF. Here is my question cause I need to find out what I am doing wrong. I don't have one of those fancy KA so I am having to work with what I have... icon_redface.gif It says to melt the MM, but here seems to be the problem the MM fluff up and dont really melt per say...?? Being I don't have a KA, what is the best way for me to make this stuff ? TIA

Beth

I don't use my KA to make MMF. I heard that someone's KA broke because it was too thick for the mixer and it overheated... icon_cool.gif

I mix it by hand all the time....

I think someone already answered the questions on the marshmallows..

They don't fully melt, but soften enough so that when you stir it, it finished "melting" at that point...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%