Execution Of The Fondant Flowers

Decorating By Myla27 Updated 16 Apr 2014 , 3:07am by Myla27

Myla27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Myla27 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 3:58am
post #1 of 3

Hello Everybody! Attached is a cake with different shades of yellow flowers.  I am wondering about the right execution to achieve the effect.

1. Should I make white fondant flowers, put them on the cake and airbrush yellow to achieve the gradient effect or.....

2. Should I color the fondant in different shades of yellow and form the flowers before I put them on the cake? 

Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 4:30am
post #2 of 3

..............1. Should I make white fondant flowers, put them on the cake and airbrush yellow ........

2. Should I color the fondant in different shades of yellow and form the flowers before I put them on the cake? 

One could do it either way.  IF you choose to make them white & airbrush you will probably not get the 'perfect' color effect you want :(

I was taught to color the fondant the darkest color you want; make as many flowers as you need.  Now add some white to what colored fondant is left.  Repeat again and again making as many shades as needed.

You just have to color lots of that 1st darkest batch of fondant so you have enough left over to lighten it up as you go :)  It's almost impossible to match color later on.

And if you do need to match color it helps to always count the # of drops of color used to begin with.  Now if you run out you will have a better chance of coming closer to matching what you started out with :)

Myla27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Myla27 Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 3:07am
post #3 of 3

AThank you very much kakeladi. I will follow your instructions accordingly. I appreciate your help :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%