Kids Party Location Advice

Business By -let_them_eat_cake- Updated 18 Apr 2014 , 1:24am by -let_them_eat_cake-

-let_them_eat_cake- Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-let_them_eat_cake- Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:10am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice. I make cakes as a hobby for friends and family. I have never sold a cake. I recently made a building block cake for a child's birthday party. The party was held at a children's party venue that is Lego themed. I did not attend the party, but the father told me the owner was so impressed she wants to get my business cards to give to future clients. Being from NJ I do know I can not sell baked goods from my home, however I do have a licensed kitchen available to me. My question is does this seem like a good idea? If anyone has had experience with this, what are some things to look out for? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:27am
post #2 of 5

AOwning a cake business can take the fun out of it cake decorating. That's a very small part. What I would suggest is that you really think about if you have time, resources, effort etc to devote to this.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Owning a cake business can take the fun out of it cake decorating. That's a very small part. What I would suggest is that you really think about if you have time, resources, effort etc to devote to this.

Exactly this. Plus, you'd have to find out if the owner of the venue wants to have you as the go-to decorator for all of her parties, or if she'd just like some business cards. It can get very tricky to work with someone else as a middleman.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 1:59am
post #4 of 5

Good points above. And the venue owner may not realize how much your cakes are. I specialize in high end birthday cakes and find that venues are looking for something inexpensive to offer people because they want them to spend more money on the party, not on the cake.

Not many are going to say, hey so the party's going to be $350 and you can also get a really cool cake for another $350. The customer paying only $350 for a party who also wants a $350 cake is a special individual. I do kid's party places about 4 times a month, so this customer is out there, but it's not enough to keep me afloat.

-let_them_eat_cake- Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-let_them_eat_cake- Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%