Got An Iwata Airbrush Gift, Is This Good For Cake Decorating?

Decorating By Sweetnkind Updated 13 Apr 2014 , 7:42pm by Sweetnkind

Sweetnkind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetnkind Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 5

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3220427/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I just got these as a gift. Are these good for cake decorating? I'm clueless when it comes to airbrushing. Has Anyone here worked with this before? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 5

Oh yes, its perfect for cake decorating. Check out You Tube, I think they have some videos on how to use it. I want one because of the convenient size vs my big heavy air compressor.

Good luck and have fun trying it out, I'm jealous cuz I want one :cry:!

Sweetnkind Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 5

AOh thanks! Ya I tried searching for info on here but it just confused me more lol will check out the YouTube video!

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 5

Congratulations!

Iwata is a good, solid brand.

HOWEVER - it looks as though you have a bottom-feed (siphon) airbrush and a very small air pump.

Air pumps of that size are best suited to top (gravity feed) airbrushes.

All things being equal, Bottom Feed needs a higher psi to "suck" color liquid up the straw, then through the airbrush. This airbrush has muuuuch longer plumbing, as it were.

Test the system with water before you jump into color.

See if it has enough power to work - and study the airbrushed water mist - is it a fine mist? Is there enough power to fully atomize the water?

If so, then move on to liquid colors.

It may work fine with liquid colors that are thinner, but may not perform as well with thicker brands. And, don't be surprised if it doesn't perform as well with pearls and shimmers.

IF you have problems, the good news is, there's nothing wrong with the equipment itself, it's just the pairing is not optimal.

Iwata uses standard fittings - if you need to, you can attach it to larger air compressors.

Sweetnkind Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 5

ALisa thanks for the advice. I just gave it a whirl using water. The mist is very fine and the pressure seems pretty good. I'm headed out now to see if my local hobby lobby has airbrush food colors. So exciting! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%