Fondant - How Do I Stop This

Decorating By DanaNZ Updated 15 Apr 2014 , 7:57am by DanaNZ

DanaNZ Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:41am
post #1 of 5

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong with fondant when covering my cakes.

I use pettinice as it is readily available here (aside from satin ice) and saves me time as I can buy premade colours when I need larger amounts. I haven't tried making my own as yet.

It seems regardless of weather and temperature, the edges look "pickled". It doesn't seem too dry when I knead or roll, I use just a tiny bit of icing sugar to avoid sticking,

What can I do to stop this!

[IMG ALT=""][/IMG]

4 replies
cramos Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 5

This happens to me also, with Satin Ice fondant. It doesn't however, happen with cheaper brands of fondant. I have found that the cheaper brands are more gummy and chewy and stretch better. Satin Ice is softer and tastes much better. I use shortening when I roll out my fondant then when it's rolled out I use a smoother to get it as smooth as I can. I use the mat I rolled it on to transfer my fondant to the cake. I find the quicker I work the less of these little pricks I get. To be honest, it doesn't happen as often anymore and the few that do appear don't really bother me- or my customers. 

as you wish Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5

AYou might need to knead you fondant a bit longer.

Lfredden Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 5

AIMO it's the fondant. I made MFF fondant and mixed it with satin ice, only cause I didn't make enough fondant and it went on beautifully. I'm sure mff would've worked fine on its own, but haven't tried it yet.

DanaNZ Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 7:57am
post #5 of 5

AThanks for your replies. Good point re the kneading. Perhaps I should try making my own. I'll give it a go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%