Fondant - How Do I Stop This

Decorating By DanaNZ Updated 15 Apr 2014 , 7:57am by DanaNZ

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:41am
post #1 of 5

AHello

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong with fondant when covering my cakes.

I use pettinice as it is readily available here (aside from satin ice) and saves me time as I can buy premade colours when I need larger amounts. I haven't tried making my own as yet.

It seems regardless of weather and temperature, the edges look "pickled". It doesn't seem too dry when I knead or roll, I use just a tiny bit of icing sugar to avoid sticking,

What can I do to stop this!

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3220188/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

4 replies
cramos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cramos Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 5

This happens to me also, with Satin Ice fondant. It doesn't however, happen with cheaper brands of fondant. I have found that the cheaper brands are more gummy and chewy and stretch better. Satin Ice is softer and tastes much better. I use shortening when I roll out my fondant then when it's rolled out I use a smoother to get it as smooth as I can. I use the mat I rolled it on to transfer my fondant to the cake. I find the quicker I work the less of these little pricks I get. To be honest, it doesn't happen as often anymore and the few that do appear don't really bother me- or my customers. 

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5

AYou might need to knead you fondant a bit longer.

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 5

AIMO it's the fondant. I made MFF fondant and mixed it with satin ice, only cause I didn't make enough fondant and it went on beautifully. I'm sure mff would've worked fine on its own, but haven't tried it yet.

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 7:57am
post #5 of 5

AThanks for your replies. Good point re the kneading. Perhaps I should try making my own. I'll give it a go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%