First 3 Tier Cake

Decorating By Luv2Bake2014 Updated 13 Apr 2014 , 5:42pm by reginaherrin

Luv2Bake2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv2Bake2014 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 4:31am
post #1 of 4

So I have my first three tiered cake this weekend... Its for a party tomorrow... I really should not have agreed to do a 3 tier as I really have no practice... I watched a few tutorials.... I have a 10" round 8" round and a 6" in round cake... I put the 10" round on a very sturdy cake board (probably 3" thick" iced it, and then put the hidden pillars and then a plastic separator and then put the 8" inch round on top of that iced and decorated that, they did not have any round 6" plastic separator plates at my cake store or Hobby Lobby, where I live, they were out, so I have a put  a hidden pillar through the middle of the 8 inch and then decorated my 6" cake on a board and then placed it on top of the second tier... it seems a tad wobbly, so I am sure  I have done something wrong and it is VERY heavy... now  I am very nervous that it is going to fall during transport... thankfully I only have about a 10 minute drive, any tips on how I could possibly make this more sturdy, without messing up the layers? I am a newbie at cake decorating, only done it for a little over a year, and mostly have done sheet cakes, cupcakes, etc. So this is one of my first big projects... I have the cake in the refrigerator right now hoping that will help keep it a little more sturdy.

Thanks in advance for the help... here is a picture of the cake...

3 replies
mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 4

AYou only have one center support for the top tier? And you have to transport it? I have seen many discussions on this forum where proper support and transport are the topic, and this is what I've gleaned: put supports around the outer edge of the tier you are trying to support. Do you have any other supports? Dowels, bubble tea straws or anything like that? Second, I have read many times on here a pro saying that they travel with two tiers stacked and stack the rest on site, unless their support system is very sturdy.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 4

AI agree, you NEVER should have agreed to take this cake. Or any cake for payment at this point in your skill set.

The tiers aren't level and looks like it could slide apart any second. Three MOST important things a decorator should know before you even get started is 1) how to stack a cake, 2) how to support a stacked cake, and 3) how to level a cake. Not necessarily in that order.

Chances are you have already figured this out if the party is today. If the customer wants her money back, I would oblige.

If you were doing it for friends or family for free...no harm, no foul. Just take anything you have learned from this experience and get lots and lots of practice.

Hoping this critique doesn't sound harsh, but it sounded like you knew you were in over your head from your first post.

Good luck and keep on trying!

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 4

I have to absolutely agree with Beesknees.  That top tier looks like it is already sliding off and I'm betting it won't/didn't make it much longer. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%