Wilton Buttercram.

Decorating By Newcakebaker_2012 Updated 14 Apr 2014 , 1:47am by NavigateLife

Newcakebaker_2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 7

ADoes anyone else use this recipe and have any issues getting this buttercream smooth? I use this recipe because everyone loves the taste but it cause me long hours just trying to get a smooth finish. This is my latest cake. I've even took others advice and added more fat in hopes that would not make it dry anymore. [ATTACHMENT=1626]image.jpg (1,558k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]. Even after adding the additional fat it just doesn't seem to help and I'm getting wore down on making cakes when I'm spending hours attempting to smooth out the buttercream. Plus in order to make money in this business I'm going to have to be able to bake more then two a weekend and I barely can get that done!! Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

6 replies
NavigateLife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NavigateLife Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

What recipe are you using?

Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 12:22am
post #3 of 7

AThe recipe is below.

1/2 cup of butter 1/2 cup of shortening 1 tsp of vanilla 4 cups of powder sugar 2 - 4 tbsp of milk

NavigateLife Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:03am
post #4 of 7

AHmm, I pretty much use the same ingredients, just different quantities, and they only come out lumpy if Im not icing and smoothing correctly. Make sure to use whole milk, and what smoothing method are you using?

Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:11am
post #5 of 7

ASo I usually crumb coat and let it sit for about 15 min in the fridge. Then I use an offset spatulas to get it the icing on or I've also used an icing tip. Once I'm pretty satisfied with the icing then I'll let the icing harden again and then use a combination of hot water and the viva method.

I'll have some extra time next weekend so I want to try the method if using tip number 18 and piping the entire cake then just smoothing with hot water and finally a viva paper towel. I def can say I've tried a lot of different methods and I don't feel like I have found "the one" yet!

What method do you use?

NavigateLife Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:33am
post #6 of 7

Al use the viva method as well, but what i do is i use tip 18 for the entire cake, smooth it out with an angled spatula, then use the fondant smoother in circular motion while applying a small amount of pressure. I dont find the need to use hot water. I'm pretty content with the result of the viva method, but I want to try this method to see the difference. http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/icing-a-cake.html

Have you tried this?^

NavigateLife Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:47am
post #7 of 7

AI replied to your comment a while ago, and it didn't post for some reason *sigh*

I use the viva method as well, except i do not find the need to use hot water. I use an 18 tip to distribute the icing on the sides and top of the cake. I then take an angeled spatula to smooth it out, and continue with the viva method using a fondant smoother while applying a small amount of pressure. Im content with the results it brings, but I want to try this metiod as well, to compare the differences. Have you tried it?

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/icing-a-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%