Cupcake Recipe: Using Sour Cream Instead Of Buttermilk

Baking By Vittiglio Updated 13 Apr 2014 , 5:01pm by Vittiglio

Vittiglio Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there! :) 

I'm trying a new chocolate cupcake recipe that asks for 1 cup of buttermilk. In my country is really hard to find it in the stores so I usually use a substitute (milk and lemon juice drops). 

But I'm going to try this recipe and I still have sour cream at home (I can't find a use for it) and I was thinking: could I use the sour cream instead of the buttermilk? Or would it be a disaster? 

What is your experience with this? What do you think?

Thank you! 

2 replies
yortma Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 3

I think it would probably work well. Sour cream has more fat than most buttermilk (although that varies greatly) and is thicker.  I might thin the sour cream with milk or water to the consistency of buttermilk.  The type of buttermilk that i use which is a full fat type is the consistency of thick cream.  my sour cream is about 40 grams of fat per cup, and my buttermilk is about 10, so if you use 1 part sour cream to 3 parts water or low fat milk, the fat will be about right.  I just tried it with 1 part sour cream to 3 parts NF milk (just a very small amount for fun), and the consistency was pretty close.  Maybe just a little less milk.  I bet it will work, but the only way is to try it and see.   Let us Know!

Vittiglio Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Yortma! :) 

I'll try the 1 part sour cream to 3 parts of low fat milk as you said. 

I'll make them friday so I promise to post the resul until Sunday max. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%