Large Sheet Pan Cake Problem ?

Decorating By tal Updated 17 Apr 2014 , 1:30pm by tal

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 12

I am sure this is probably on here at CC,  but I can't find a thread on it....

I am baking a 16x24 sheet pan (14C batter). spread it out evenly, bake lower temp with flower nail, etc.  BUT the corners always end up sinking; therefore, getting less slices.

Any ideas or referrals to a post that can answer this issue?

Thank you

tal

11 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 12

AMay not be the help you need, but I suggest 16x24 bakeable cardboard tray in commercial Bun pan for better results?

tal Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 12

I have never even heard of such a thing?  Where can I purchase this bakeable cardboard?

Rfisher Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 12

ACommercial/wholesale supplier. If unavailable to you, I'd go the route of more batter to get a height in your corners you can trim down to. Or change recipe. Or bake two smaller cakes that you can trim nicely and butt together to end up with a neat 16 x 24 end product.

Rfisher Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 12

AType in "corners on sheet cake" in CC's search box, you might find some more help.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tal 

I am sure this is probably on here at CC,  but I can't find a thread on it....

I am baking a 16x24 sheet pan (14C batter). spread it out evenly, bake lower temp with flower nail, etc.  BUT the corners always end up sinking; therefore, getting less slices.

Any ideas or referrals to a post that can answer this issue?

Thank you

tal

Wow tal, The biggest pan that fits comfortably in my home oven (and bakes well) is an 1/3 sheet cake.  I made one this week for a friend, two layers tall actually.  The first cake took so long to bake that The top edges against the pan, got cooked hard like a cookie. (taste delicious though as I don't mind sampling the cuttings  :P  )

So I remembered something I read here recently, and had actually done on AppleGumPams dark chocolate mud cake......Parchment collars. I think that it was AZcouture that said she uses them on her round cakes.  So  I thought I'd try them on the sheet cake.

surprisingly it worked well.  using cake strips, flower nails, and the collar. the cake baked up relatively flat on top.  The corners were filled out nicely (and I didn't have to do any cake wedges to prop them up).  plus the overcooked edges were minimized.  When my DH came in I asked him if he could identify the cake baked with the collars.  Without hesitation he pointed to the correct one as it was more evenly colored without the dark edging.

Well that's my experience with this weeks Birthday Cake. Hope you find an answer. Cheers,

mb

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rfisher 

May not be the help you need, but I suggest 16x24 bakeable cardboard tray in commercial Bun pan for better results?

If you use those, who is your supplier? Do you cut out rings of cake for round cake?

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 12:02am
post #8 of 12

I use sheet pan extenders. Works like a dream :)

tal Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 12:45am
post #9 of 12

might be short on time to order so I may try adding more batter...that sounds feasible.  Thank you!

tal Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 12:46am
post #10 of 12

HAHA...my oven? NOT...I use my church basement's oven for that size.  I'll check into parchment collars for next time sheet cake baking! 

thanks so much !

Rfisher Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 12

AMy apologies,I am embarrassed! I have seen that suggestion of the cardboard bakeable tray scores of times here, I figured they were readily available commercially universally. I only saw suppliers for AU, CA, and UK. USA has OEM sites, but no readily available distributor info that I saw. I got to change my tag line and stop blindly regurgitating.

tal Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 12

Well, I have decided to go with a 12x18 sheet pan. We are now looking at 80 guests BUT I am also making a separate 4 tiered cake, so now I need a different opinion.  For extra servings (does not have to feed 80, probably more like 65ish ppl, should I"

1.  Make 2 12x18 cakes - torte each - fill - stack all four layers (WOW, that would be high)

If so, what size do I cut? 

OR

2.  Make 1 12x18 cake - torte - fill - end up with 4" high cake

If so, what size do I cut?

:?

Hope this is making sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%