Can I Say No?

Business By katies135 Updated 21 May 2014 , 5:18pm by johnson6ofus

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 9:14am
post #31 of 42

I'll repeat what the others have said,

Run & raise your prices. How much are you earning if you are charging $65 for such a detailed cake? Time is money which also includes clients who don't stop texting, emailing or phoning with queries and demands. You need to be making enough to make it worthwhile unless you are just charging for ingredients?

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 11:22am
post #32 of 42

She wanted a decorated 2 tier for less than £65? How many hours is it going to take to do it? Minus your ingredients and divide by your hours, you've made no profit and very little per hour.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 1:18pm
post #33 of 42

You are giving your cakes away with those prices. Raise up your prices!!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 13 May 2014 , 5:03pm
post #34 of 42

So, what happened in the end?  Did you do it? 

katies135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies135 Posted 13 May 2014 , 5:19pm
post #35 of 42

AI didn't do it! I sent her a message saying after long thought I won't be able to do it etc said I cannot guarantee that the colours will be exactly the same and she seems very precise on what she wants etc. she then sent me about 10 more messages asking me to rethink my decision and that she "trusts" me - which she clearly didn't and someone on here advised me not to get in to back and forth reasons why so I just didn't reply. It would have been due for delivery Saturday so I just hope she doesn't ring me asking where it is!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 13 May 2014 , 6:13pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by katies135 

I didn't do it! I sent her a message saying after long thought I won't be able to do it etc said I cannot guarantee that the colours will be exactly the same and she seems very precise on what she wants etc. she then sent me about 10 more messages asking me to rethink my decision and that she "trusts" me - which she clearly didn't and someone on here advised me not to get in to back and forth reasons why so I just didn't reply. It would have been due for delivery Saturday so I just hope she doesn't ring me asking where it is!

Good for you! :D

It sounds like since she knew it was a steal, she planned to micromanage you. When prices are too low, it doesn't instill confidence.  But when she lost you, she was willing to do anything to keep you.

This may not apply to this person in this case. But there are lots of manipulative people who will do whatever it takes to get whatever they want. She may have known full well that she was using you and doing it in cold blood. And when you put your phone number on the internet, these types will find you.

But in the cake business, if you charge enough, they disappear like magic. It's like garlic for vampires hahaha!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 May 2014 , 6:31pm
post #37 of 42

AGarlic for vampires...perfect illustration! Now back to True Blood...watching last season in anticipation of the series finale coming up. ((SIGH))

katies135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies135 Posted 13 May 2014 , 8:39pm
post #38 of 42

AVery true! I have raised my prices since! She threw me when she said "quote me a reasonable price"!!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 May 2014 , 8:54pm
post #39 of 42

Listen to your "Spidey Senses"!  Tell her you're no longer available and offer her the number of your most hated competitor! ;-)

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:37am
post #40 of 42

One of the best quotes my sister told me is "All money is green". You don't have to like every one of your customers and as long as they are being charge appropriately it doesn't matter if they are a pain in the ass. Granted, if she wants more than what she wants to pay for, then she shouldn't get it. 

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 May 2014 , 2:09am
post #41 of 42

Raise your prices.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 May 2014 , 5:18pm
post #42 of 42

Congrats Katie for saying NO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%