Best Icing To Roll Cake Pops

Decorating By bakingmywaytowealth Updated 1 Jun 2014 , 5:16am by bakingmywaytowealth

bakingmywaytowealth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmywaytowealth Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone!

Can anyone suggest a good icing for rolling and keeping cake pops firm? Are the store brought icings ok? Or is there a better one, recipe?

Thanks!

4 replies
Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:33am
post #2 of 5

I use whatever I have on hand....buttercream icing, straight peanut butter, nutella, jelly, preserves - it really depends on what I want them to taste like.  You can use store bought frosting - sure.  The key is not using too much of whatever you use.  Just enough to make a stiff dough - similar to cookie dough.

bakingmywaytowealth Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani1081 

I use whatever I have on hand....buttercream icing, straight peanut butter, nutella, jelly, preserves - it really depends on what I want them to taste like.  You can use store bought frosting - sure.  The key is not using too much of whatever you use.  Just enough to make a stiff dough - similar to cookie dough.

Got cha! Thanks a lot!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 5

I always use vanilla flavored American Buttercream (ABC); it's no-cook, crusting, and shelf stable.

I keep small containers filled with approx. 3 TBS of medium consistency icing in the freezer until ready to use.

vanilla is a neutral flavor and I hardly use any icing when making the pops. the icing really just acts as a binder; flavoring comes from the cake, coating, and the MMF or candy-clay used to decorate the pops.

the cake and ABC mixture makes for a very sturdy pop, able to be hand molded into many shapes such as a cube, heart, ballon, oval, pear, egg, strawberry, etc.

HTH    

bakingmywaytowealth Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 5:16am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

I always use vanilla flavored American Buttercream (ABC); it's no-cook, crusting, and shelf stable.

I keep small containers filled with approx. 3 TBS of medium consistency icing in the freezer until ready to use.

vanilla is a neutral flavor and I hardly use any icing when making the pops. the icing really just acts as a binder; flavoring comes from the cake, coating, and the MMF or candy-clay used to decorate the pops.

the cake and ABC mixture makes for a very sturdy pop, able to be hand molded into many shapes such as a cube, heart, ballon, oval, pear, egg, strawberry, etc.

HTH    

Hi! Just seeing your message. This totally helps. Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%