Using Non-Edibles In Cakes

Decorating By NatanyaG Updated 10 Apr 2014 , 2:40am by Dani1081

NatanyaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatanyaG Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I am making  a friend's wedding cake and she has asked for a quilting pattern on the bottom tier with some pretty little hair pins she has found in the joins. Of course it wouldn't be safe to put the metal pins directly into the cake but I'm not sure how I can make it possible.Would it be safe to wrap the pins in floral tape before putting them in the cake? Can I remove the pins and stick the decorative part of the pin onto the icing?

Please help! Any advice on this would be very much appreciated - even if it is just confirmation that I should not use the pins!

Thank-you,

Natanya

6 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 7

AI wouldn't use the pins, it's just too risky! I would copy them on pieces of dry spaghetti that way they would be edible.

You could arrange the pins into a topper and insert them into a flower pic or plastic straw in the top tier perhaps?

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 7

Introducing a possible contaminant into a cake is always a problem.  You would also need to make sure that everything is removed when it is served in case somebody accidentally swallows it - eg a child.  It is always my aim to make absolutely everthing edible - even down to sparkly bits.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Introducing a possible contaminant into a cake is always a problem.  You would also need to make sure that everything is removed when it is served in case somebody accidentally swallows it - eg a child.  It is always my aim to make absolutely everthing edible - even down to sparkly bits.

Same for me.  I will not stick pins into, or attach inedibles [like rhinestones/diamonte],  to a cake.  If someone misses one and serves it, it's ME who's liable for the problem.

NatanyaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatanyaG Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your help everyone! I think I will just have to tell her to find an edible alternative!

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 7

I would use edible dragees or candy pearls. NEVER put a pin in a cake!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:40am
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 

Same for me.  I will not stick pins into, or attach inedibles [like rhinestones/diamonte],  to a cake.  If someone misses one and serves it, it's ME who's liable for the problem.

I totally agree with this!!  I see a lot of cakes on here with actual glass rhinestones stuck to the fondant. BAD BUSINESS right there.  They had better be serving that cake and making sure they don't miss a single one of those babies, otherwise they are liable for damages (real and imagined!).  I don't know a single person in the world that thinks a glass rhinestone is edible, so that wouldn't really be a legal defense.  Stick with the edible things that are available and avoid the possibility of a law suit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%