Bubbles In My Guittard Chocolate Melts

Sugar Work By JaeRodriguez Updated 10 Apr 2014 , 2:22pm by -K8memphis

JaeRodriguez Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 8

 I'm new to the candy melt game, I made the molds with the pictured putty (it says it works with chocolate) and this is how my melts are drying/setting every time. I tried Wilton to test (not pictured) and it did the same, and then the Guittard chocolate, I tried to let it set in the fridge (not pictured) and these two have set side by side on the counter. The molds have never been washed or wet. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I tried to google and got nothing! also the weird film/chalk on the chocolate. What in the world! 

 

7 replies
Krypto Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 8

AIf you are using "real" chocolate, you have to temper it. Candy melts don't have to be tempered.

Krypto Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 8

AI would suggest letting it set up at room temp, the fridge is too moist of an enviroment for chocolate.

JaeRodriguez Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 8

AThank you krypto! I was assuming the Guittard A'Peels were candy melts, but maybe they do need to be tempered. Even so- the Wilton did the same exact thing! I decided to make it out of fondant if I can't get the chocolate to work!

maybenot Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez 

Thank you krypto! I was assuming the Guittard A'Peels were candy melts, but maybe they do need to be tempered. Even so- the Wilton did the same exact thing! I decided to make it out of fondant if I can't get the chocolate to work!


A'Peels are NOT real chocolate and do not need tempering.

 

Did you dust the molds with something?  If not, that looks like "bloom"--the product was too hot and the oils separated as it cooled.

 

Several possible issues: 

    1. Silicone is prone to developing micro bubbles on the surface of hot contents.  With isomalt, you can torch the surface, but not so with chocolate.

     2.  Your chocolate was too hot.

     3.  Your chocolate was too thick.

 

 

JaeRodriguez Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you maybenot, I gave up and used fondant in the mold. I plan on trying again though! 

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 8

random thought--i tap, jiggle and drop my chocolates to help dislodge bubbles--in serious chocolate making--not that you're not serious but i mean serious like where you buy big equipment--they have 'jiggle' machinery to force the bubbles out--

 

i would not use any release sprays or anything like that--but you should definitely wash them--

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 8

something else about chocolate--it will be as shiny as the mold is--so in other words, it won't come out of silicone too shiny--but those clear plastic molds can yield a much prettier surface--either the hard clear plastic or the flexier ones

 

best chocolatiering to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%