Sheet Cake Dilemma

Lounge By Norasmom Updated 8 Apr 2014 , 11:52am by Norasmom

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 1:06am
post #1 of 15

I was asked to do a cake for 8-10 people so I told the customer it would be a 6" cake.  She then asked if I would do a sheet cake to serve 15-30 people instead, but I hate doing sheet cakes.  I turn sheet cake orders down, in fact, because mine never come out well.  Some on this website make amazing sheet cakes but mine are awful so I am not going to make one for a customer.  

I was thinking of telling her  " Hi. Unfortunately I do not make rectangular cakes, as they are not my specialty.  That shape cakes does not come out right for me so I avoid them. My best work is in a round cake.  I can recommend a local bakery that makes great rectangular cakes, or I would be happy to make you an 8" cake that is round with the decorations you requested, just let me know.  I know that you have an idea in your mind of what you would like."

Thanks!

Is that good wording?  My neighbor wanted a sheet cake and I said no as well.  I also know that my sheet cakes would be more expensive than what she would get at our local bakery.  I'm not sure price is a huge issue, though.

14 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 1:20am
post #2 of 15

What I tell people is that since they are the same price per serving as my round and tiered cakes, most people opt for one of those.   If they are insisting on sheet cake, they probably don't want to spend much. I've only done two sheet cakes since I started.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 1:27am
post #3 of 15

I would just say "I don't stock sheet cake pans.  I can provide a round cake."  Don't get into any background about how they turn out, etc.

Liz

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 1:40am
post #4 of 15

AMy standard reply is that I just don't make them. No need for apologies, Walmart probably doesn't apologize for not offering fondant covered tiered creations. :D

Norasmom Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 1:51am
post #5 of 15

Thanks AZ, I agree.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 2:55am
post #6 of 15

Norasmom, if I was smart I'd toss all my square and sheet cake pans in the trash and just make rounds.

You make an interesting point about people comparing your homemade sheet cake price to a box store sheet cake price...........you've got something there.  With rounds you may separate yourself in the minds of your customers.

Norasmom Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 3:32am
post #7 of 15

I just sent her an email, no background info, just that I don't make sheet cakes.  No response from her, but it's all good to me.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 3:59am
post #8 of 15

AI used to not do sheet cakes either, but have learned to love them, especially my giant ones. I am not cheap and people still pay...I always start with if you want a cheap cake, go to walmart, but if you want a good creative cake, we can talk.

We torte them, use great buttercream and[IMG ALT="24 inch by 36 inch cake...torted red velvet and white cake...so when cut will be white and red striped. Filled with white chocolate mousse....fondant covered cake for the candles on fondant holly leaves"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3151220/width/350/height/700[/IMG] fondant for decorative items.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3151313/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Norasmom Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 15

Beautiful work Hammer1!  I think, however, she is expecting hers to look like what is in the grocery store (with characters).  She is not caught up on price, but I don't want to do a generic looking grocery store cake.

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 15

Oh, if that's what she means, then I've never done one.  Yes, I just  let them know this is not what you do and I have a $150 minimum.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 15

I am not a fan of sheet cakes, however, when I do a sheet cake I make mine the same as any round cake I do 2 (2 inch) layers making the cake 4" high.  This not only keeps them from looking like some generic grocery store bakery type cake, but the difference in the overall appearance is so much better to me.  But, hey that's just my two cents.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 11:13pm
post #12 of 15

AIf she wants it to look like a supermarket cake, I say buy one at the supermarket. I have never seen one yet that I would want to copy....people tell me to do what I want, then is am happy, if they want to give me a cake to copy, it is NO. I do cakes to be creative, not copy. No two cakes are alike

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3151311/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT="36" by 24" super sheet cake- 4 cake each filled with a different flavor yellow/lemon curd, red velvet/ buttercream, chcolate/french vanilla bettercream, white/raspberry. buttercream icing with red chocolate letters and fondant singlet and chef head"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/1698428/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT="full size sheetcake, buttercream. Fondant plaque and guitars. Home made pearls."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/1246706/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 15

I just don't see the big deal. Cakes are rarely real art anyway for heaven's sake. When I see copies of my designs online I consider a compliment.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 12:46am
post #14 of 15

There is one small issue with two layer sheet cakes.  Most sheet cake sized boxes are only about 4 inches tall.  You couldn't box up that tall of a cake, wrap it up and toss it in the freezer. 

Norasmom Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 11:52am
post #15 of 15

After explaining to her I do not make sheet cakes, she came back to ask for two 6" round rakes and then cancelled after I quoted the price.  Now I do think it was a pricing issue, as I am 2X more expensive (but better) than the local bakery, who is underpriced and violated copyright law left and right. She charges $20 for a 6" cake…   I should have known because in my neck of the woods the only people requesting sheet cakes are people who don't wish to afford a custom cake.  Thankfully, I usually am able to weed the cheapskates out but this one slipped through the cracks…I just refuse to lower my prices, it's not worth it to me or the industry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%