What's The Best Book Out There?

Decorating By emarcomd Updated 8 Apr 2014 , 8:09pm by emarcomd

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 7

Sorry if there's another thread on this, but I couldn't locate one.

There are great vids on youtube, but sometimes I just like a book.

I'm a beginner/amateur.   I've done cakes I'm proud of, but I also attempted a Topsy Turvy cake that I *literally* wound up having to use a serving spoon to serve.   It was about as much a topsy turvy cake as my dog is a computer programmer.  I told everyone it was a "cake salad."

I decided I like the decorating part better than the baking part.  But I also like trying the surprise-inside cakes, and recently made a "Peanut Butter & Fritos Cake with Chocolate Ganache and Cheetos Stencil"  (fun fact:  Cheetos are almost the same pantone color that Hermes uses!)

Basically, I can pull off some decent-looking cakes if I have a little luck ion my side, but I suffer from a strong knowledge of the fundamentals.

Okay, now that I've told you all that, what has been the most helpful book you've read?

Thanks!

6 replies
cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 7

AWhen I was looking for knowledge in areas of baking and decorating I checked out my local library. They have a wealth of information and depending on your library's budget they will even order books. Mine did.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 2:21am
post #3 of 7

AYou also may want to try Craftsy.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 4:02am
post #4 of 7

For baking a good foundation for me was "On Baking", a textbook of baking and pastry fundamentals. For cake decorating, Toba Garrett's "The Well Decorated Cake". But my all time favorite book for baking old fashioned, southern classics, is called "Sweets" by Patty Pinner. Rosie's Bakery "All-Butter-Fresh Cream-Sugar-Packed-No-Holds-Barred-Baking Book" by Judy Rosenberg is another favorite :-D 

For techniques in cake decorating, YouTube, hands down!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 4:17am
post #5 of 7

AI second "On Baking" I learned from the chef who wrote that book in pastry school. I thank God for that every day. The book is excellent. Understand the fundamentals of baking and you can really free yourself!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 4:44am
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I second "On Baking" I learned from the chef who wrote that book in pastry school. I thank God for that every day. The book is excellent. Understand the fundamentals of baking and you can really free yourself!

It teaches you everything! ;-D

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

These are great.  "On Baking" it is!  And I'll check out those crafty classes too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%