Is It Perishable Or Not?

Decorating By bamabob Updated 5 Apr 2014 , 10:03pm by bamabob

bamabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamabob Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 3

Help!  I'm a cake newbie (trying to get my money's worth from my stand mixer).  I made a lemon cake with a buttercream frosting.  I didn't know if it needed to be kept in the fridge or not so I did a Google search.  It seems it's okay to leave it at room temp for a couple days as long as there are no perishable fillings.  This cake does have a filling between the layers--5 egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice in a double boiler till thickened.  Add lemon zest and cool.  after an hour in the fridge old in freshly whipped cream.  That's the filling.  Do I need to keep it in the fridge?  If so, does it need to be wrapped?  I have a terrible time wrapped frosted cakes.  And an even worse time unwrapping them.  Disaster always ensues.

thanks for the help.

2 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 3

Whipped cream makes the cake perishable so it needs to be refrigerated. Wrapping the cake is up to you, but if it's not wrapped it may pick up other flavors (such as fish or onions)  that are in your fridge. Many home goods stores sell plastic tubs that will keep your cakes fresh. Enjoy your cake! 

bamabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamabob Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, Mimi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%