Making Impressions On Dried Fondant?

Decorating By Shortkaik Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 12:50am by Shortkaik

Shortkaik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shortkaik Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 7

AHello!

I am working on a cake right now, and just remembered I need to do some impressions on it. Just some simple indented grooves it give it a paneled effect (it's a spaceship). However, the fondant has already set and doing any sort of indents is causing cracking. Is there a way I could do impressions after it's set? Any advice would be appreciated!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 7

the only way i know is to lay another piece of fresh fondant on top--if you can find a place where you can disguise a seam--or just redo the whole she-bang--

or you could pipe some lines on too--or lay some strings of fondant on--

on the upside--you'll never forget again ;) that's how i learned ;)

best to you--

Shortkaik Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 7

You're right, I won't!  I didn't even think about the fact that it would harden.  Duh! 

What I might do is just cut part way into the fondant with my xacto knife to give it a 'seam' look.  That might be even better than grooves to show the panels.  Here's hoping!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 7

that's a pretty good idea--then if it doesn't show enough--take some food color paint or some powdered food color--even some cocoa and dab it on there then wipe it all off and the cut places will retain some of the 'shadowing so it will show up more if you need that--

i'd try it on some scraps first of course--or where you can hide it--like on 'the back'

fingers crossed for yah

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 7

i wonder if you could take a soft pointy thing (picture the tip of a knitting needle--pointed but softly pointed-- and run it down the cut marks to distinguish them

lemme know how it's going---but no pressure--this is intriguing

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 7

did it work? did it wrinkle?

Shortkaik Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 12:50am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips!  I think the pin idea is good.  I think it worked pretty well in the end, although the photos don't really do it justice.  I just carefully ran my xacto knife pointed along a ruler to and drew out a few panels and outlines.  You can see what it looked like a bit clearer in the flickr photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shortkaik/13680706053/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%