The Newest Cake Invention

Lounge By Norasmom Updated 9 Apr 2014 , 6:16pm by costumeczar

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 42

This is designed for "working" mothers/fathers to make baking a cake easier.  So does this mean the world finally knows that baking cake is not easy…so we need a canister to spray our cake batter out like Cheez-Wiz?  :-D  :-D  First prize in "technology" out of Harvard..that's why I prefer M.I.T….Although, baking is similar to rocket science in many ways, if not more complicated, when I look at images of the cakes on this website.

http://bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2014/04/baking_up_a_winning_co_recipe

41 replies
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 42

That's f'ed up.  Cake batter in a can? they can keep it, along with cheese in a can. no thanks.

Norasmom Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 42

Sad thing is..people will buy it and it will make millions…then it will be something that sits on the kitchen shelf. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 42

I would never buy anything like that either!!!

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 42

Oh jeez. Easier does not always equal better!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 42

I can think of better things to spend my time inventing than this.  It looks totally disgusting and it will never be in my shopping basket let alone my house!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 42

AReally? This is better than the invention that can test food for allergens? Or a system to improve 911? Woah... There must have been something in those cupcakes the judges tested!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 42

Ew!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 42

I don't understand the negativity. The award was probably based on the idea most promising to be mass marketed that investors would want to invest in. If you want to buy one of these allergy testing things, you're not going to buy more than one. Whereas, this spray can cake has potential to be a common staple on the grocery store shelf.

And it may make decent enough cake, who knows? Besides, standards are pretty low these days on what qualifies as food. Ever been to McDonald's? If it's edible, people are going to love making cupcakes and other individual sized cakes with this stuff. I can see the commercial - look, mom, I baked you a cake..  Wish I'd thought of this.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 12:10am
post #10 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

I don't understand the negativity. The award was probably based on the idea most promising to be mass marketed that investors would want to invest in. If you want to buy one of these allergy testing things, you're not going to buy more than one. Whereas, this spray can cake has potential to be a common staple on the grocery store shelf.

And it may make decent enough cake, who knows? Besides, standards are pretty low these days on what qualifies as food. Ever been to McDonald's? If it's edible, people are going to love making cupcakes and other individual sized cakes with this stuff. I can see the commercial - look, mom, I baked you a cake..  Wish I'd thought of this.

NOT me !!   I was 'before my time' - my kids didn't have plastic wrap on sandwiches - had good healthy, wholesome food - no packaged/processed food - YEP 30 years ago I was considered a 'weirdo'   - funny how all these NEW Mums are saying to my daughter - wow, you are doing Clean Eating with your kids???
Nope, just teh way we have always eaten !!

The trouble with ALL of this - IS the people that would buy it - it makes my stomach churn to just think about it.

The solution to ALL of this is to shift people's priorities - instead of spending an hour getting your nails done - go bake a cake for your kids - from butter, eggs, milk & flour.    Most people don't realise that they could cook a Chinese/Thai meal quicker than it would be to go out and buy it !!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 12:34am
post #11 of 42

All I see is chemicals in a can. SMH

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 12:49am
post #12 of 42

I'd love to see the ingredient list for this.

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 12:50am
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

NOT me !!   I was 'before my time' - my kids didn't have plastic wrap on sandwiches - had good healthy, wholesome food - no packaged/processed food - YEP 30 years ago I was considered a 'weirdo'   - funny how all these NEW Mums are saying to my daughter - wow, you are doing Clean Eating with your kids???
Nope, just teh way we have always eaten !!

The trouble with ALL of this - IS the people that would buy it - it makes my stomach churn to just think about it.

The solution to ALL of this is to shift people's priorities - instead of spending an hour getting your nails done - go bake a cake for your kids - from butter, eggs, milk & flour.    Most people don't realise that they could cook a Chinese/Thai meal quicker than it would be to go out and buy it !!

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying I'd eat it or buy it. I was saying I'd be happy to get rich selling it. I grew up like you describe - even though my mother worked, she would rarely buy cookies or cake. If we had them, she'd make it from scratch. Haha - yes eating "clean" is some sort of new fangled thing to some. But I think people deserve credit for going back to that. My daughter is a crunchy mom - cloth diapers, no processed food, etc. She doesn't even have paper towels in the house.

This thread reminded my of a desert my mom used make called caramel dumplings. I think it was something like globs of biscuit batter cooked on the stove top in a pan with butter and sugar . The sugar would turn to a brown caramel color. Hadn't thought about those in years.

Norasmom Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 12:59am
post #14 of 42

Well, it is Harvard, not M.I.T….so go figure.

I do wish them luck, I like to see people succeed, no matter what I think of the invention.  I buy slice and bake chocolate chip cookies so who am I to judge.  I just think it's wacky and funny and thought it would be hilarious to people on CC.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 1:06am
post #15 of 42

I will never be WEALTHY - because I couldn't SELL something I didn't believe in

Lucky for me I realise that MONEY money doesn't make you RICH 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 1:06am
post #16 of 42

Its not really any different to those premixed cookie doughs that you cut up and bake,  Each to their own, but they don't interest me.  I LOVE baking but I accept that most people don't, just don't ask me to eat your packet or tin mix and say it is wonderful.

Norasmom Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 2:00am
post #17 of 42

I just thought of something…you can squirt cake mix directly into your mouth with this thing!  :lol:

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 3:07am
post #18 of 42

You mean you can squirt chemical mix directly into your mouth.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 4:31am
post #19 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 

I just thought of something…you can squirt cake mix directly into your mouth with this thing!  :lol:

LOL

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 3:33pm
post #20 of 42

ACake in a can? Meh. Couldn't eat it anyway.

The allergy thing I LOVE! :madhatter: No more waitress trust issues!!

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 4:23pm
post #21 of 42

Doesn't look like a new invention to me. Looks like the whip cream dispenser they use with C02 cartridges that the coffee shops use, just with a different tip maybe.

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 5:46pm
post #22 of 42

Obviously when they market it they'll use disposable aerosol cans.

EdieBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieBabe Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 42

AUmm looks like, sounds like and maybe even tastes like they can suck it as far as I'm concerned the whole fun of making cake is... well that making cake is just plain fun; squeezing a trigger and tossing a pan into oven directly after sounds boring, lame, I unimaginative and I mentioned BoRiNG!!! didn't I?

I have a convenient solution for busy parents in my area who haven't the time to get in the kitchen and whip up a cake... The solution is me

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:10pm
post #24 of 42

"Doesn't look like a new invention". "They can suck it?" Holy cow - why is everyone so negative? You seriously don;t think it's a clever idea?

EdieBabe Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:37pm
post #25 of 42

ASorry howsweet I'm naturally a bit cheeky in general to say the least and even somewhat surly on occasion especially when sleep deprived &/or after having been exposed to intoxicated people for many consecutive hours (so work last night then)... But it is also that I am disenchanted with things that are highly processed especially if they come in a spray can... cheese for example should never be sprayed ~ just sayin'

All sarcasm aside I'm sticking with my initial reaction that is seems unnecessary and also looks a whipping cream canister so not original IMHO - and more reasons that I can't articulate because work then no sleep

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 42

EdieBabe has a good point:  If your too busy to bake........get your cupcakes from a baker.:P

Why do they need a metal can with compression?........why not just put the batter in a milk carton like they do with pancake batter? 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:00pm
post #27 of 42

AYuch, says my tummy. Smart, says the wanna be entrepreneurial side of me.

EdieBabe Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:17pm
post #28 of 42

AYa, that is what I getting at... If you have no time to bake then support a local small business baker instead of a can of questionable ingredients. Or even just call up a friend who likes to & has the time to bake up the goodness... It's fun for people like me

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 8:21pm
post #29 of 42

AI get it... I keep thinking everyone is responding to the idea, not the product. CC is probably not going to be where they'll find their customers.

The container they used was just for demonstration. They'll put it in regular cans for the grocery store. Using the co2 thing someone posted up there for their demonstration is irrelevant.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 9:57pm
post #30 of 42

I do agree with you howsweet, that the idea itself is good.  It's the product that grosses me out though.  But I also hate the whipped cream in a can.  Spraying food out of a can just seems so unfoodlike to me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%