Suggestions For Making The Wilton Soccer Ball (Fondant) Better Next Time

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 12:27am by Shazza65

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 6:13am
post #1 of 7

Hi all, 

I made the Wilton soccer ball today. It was the first time I have used ganache and, oh my gosh!, it made life so much easier. It was a nearly perfect sphere. Covering the ball with fondant was relatively easy. I used Wilton's pattern for hexagons and pentagons and cut them all uniformly 

The top half of the ball went really well and pieces fit perfectly. The bottom of the ball was a huge struggle and pieces didn't all fit together very well. I wound up covering the mistakes with other accents but would love to do it better in the future. 

Any suggestions?

6 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 4:45am
post #2 of 7

I purchased these from etsy and they worked great!

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/175806803?ref=fb2_tnx_title

Bellatheball Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 5:21am
post #3 of 7

That's great! I'll have to try that next time.  I wonder if my printer resized the templates. It was horribly trying to finish the bottom 1/3 of the ball! 

Sandra Monger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra Monger Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 9:16am
post #4 of 7

Footballs can be really hard to do. I did one a while ago and had the same problem that the hexagons and pentagons fit perfectly at the top but then started to develop gaps about half way down. I re-carved the ball so that it was slightly less round on the bottom, it tapered in a bit. After this the pieces fit. Good Luck. 

This was my football in the end. Best wishes Sandra.x

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 7

Wow Sandra, it's gorgeous. I can never get mine done that well. Brilliant job.

Bellatheball Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

looks great!

Shazza65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazza65 Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 12:27am
post #7 of 7

This is the reason I love this site. Just when I need help, a thread appears with the info I need at just the right time.:smile:

For some reason, my big mouth got the better of me, and I told my co workers I'd make a basketball cake . It's way about my skill level, but I'm willing to give it a go. Looks like fun- lots of stressful fun. I tried using a pyrex bowl to make the cake with not so great results, so am off to buy the pan if I can find one.Worst case they get a half ball and a sheet cake jersey.

I'm was going  to do a chocolate WASC cake.  I've watched the various tutorials too and haven't seen any supports used other than the standard board in between tiers. Can anyone tell me how I should place the dowels. Would SPS be too big to use?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Shazza65

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%