Claire Bowman's Cake Lace?

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 21 Nov 2014 , 2:58pm by mk33

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 2:50am
post #1 of 23

Has anyone here used Claire Bowman's cake lace and mats? I'm wondering how they compare to Sugarveil? Her mats look more ornate than Sugarveil's and seem to be more reasonably priced. Would appreciate feedback. Thanks!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/EasySugarLace

22 replies
chefywendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefywendy Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:01am
post #2 of 23

AIve tried sugarveil before and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!! I just recently brought the cake lace from the same lady on etsy.! Lol so im just waiting around for it to come but i have heard wonders about the cake lace and if its better than sugarveil then it was worth the wait!

annakat444 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:11am
post #3 of 23

AHow long is it supposed to take to get there? I'm doing a wedding shower cake at the end of the month and am wondering if I have enough time to order and figure it out before I need to do the cake...let me know how you like it!

chefywendy Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:24am
post #4 of 23

ASo i just bought it on the 2nd and it is supposed to be ship to me today so maybe by the beginning of next week?? I live in CT so it might take a bit but she does have a special, spend 75$ and she will ship you a free stencil of her choosing! Ive spent alot of time googling Cakelace and so far it seems to be better, as a sugarveil user i was totally not happy with it and pretty much ruined the cake i was doing. Ill keep you posted when it arrives!

chefywendy Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:26am
post #5 of 23

AP.s free shipping :D

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 23

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any luck with this product..I recently tired Sugarveil and it went sooo wrong. It was hard and not pretty at all. I thought it was my dry climate..but maybe its the product. Let us know how/if it works..would be much apprechiated!

annakat444 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 23

I just found a thread from a few weeks ago comparing the two...I commented on it so it's been bumped up, but here's the link just in case...it seems that cake lace is definitely better!

http://cakecentral.com/t/768087/cake-lace-or-sugarveil

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 23

AI love the cake lace,I haven't tried sugar veil so I can't compare the two. I can say tho instructions are to put in a warm oven to dry...my oven doesn't go that low so I just dry at room temperature for a few hours, and that works beautifully. And I one of them I got is the premade silver,loved not having to mix and have perfect consistency but wasn't impressed (my opinion) with the color for that one.

chefywendy Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 23

AP.s free shipping :D

Original message sent by annakat444

How long is it supposed to take to get there? I'm doing a wedding shower cake at the end of the month and am wondering if I have enough time to order and figure it out before I need to do the cake...let me know how you like it!

Update!! Love love love love love cake lace!!! I just recieved mine yesterday and literally used it right away even though i didnt really use it fpr anything jejej.

But the instructions are pretty easy, awesome texture and lovely just overall. So i def! Recommand you buying cake lace before your cake date that way you have a good feel around cake lace!

annakat444 Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 23

Thank you!!! I actually ordered it last night and it's already shipped. So excited to experiment with it! Is there a learning curve? The youtube videos (of course) make it look so simple!

JumpingJack123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JumpingJack123 Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 23

ACake Lace is very, very easy to use with fabulous results. Just follow the instructions for perfect results every time, it can also be coloured. Once the lace is made it can be wrapped in grease proof paper and keeps flexible for months. Some I made a few weeks ago.... [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3218322/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3218321/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 23

I love sugar dress.  Best results for me.  Lace stays pliable if placed in a plastic bag.

caketinsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketinsmith Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 23

Hello everyone ,

Karens Edible Cake Lace is the new product in the market which is very good interms of prices and quality.

Edible Cake Lace - 500 Grams - White Premium Quality ( 2 Part Formulation Powder + Liquid) = £ 13.99

Edible Cake Lace - 200 Grams - Silver Premium Quality ( Premix ) = £ 13.99

Edible Cake Lace - 200 Grams - Gold Premium Quality ( Premix ) = £ 13.99

Lace Mats from £ 7 

The mixture will make soft paste which can be spread onto the pattern Lace Mats and let it dry .
Drying can be done at the normal temperature or using the oven for faster curing.
Once dried the Edible Lace can be peeled from the lace mat and can be used to decorate the cakes giving it a stylish and creative look. 
The Edible Cake Lace is soft , flexible and pliable.
The Edible Cake Lace have been made to the highest British Quality.

For more information

www.ediblecakelace.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ediblecakelace

wendyjune Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendyjune Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 10:36am
post #14 of 23

Cake lace is the best on the market so easy to use comes in a full range of colours also.

The mats are brilliant they are the only ones to replica real lace so delicate also 3D.

titalali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
titalali Posted 3 May 2014 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 23

AI need some help with the conversion of Clair's 50ml of water. Exactly how much water do you add? And if my oven doesn't go to 80 degrees then I guess I have to air dry it? Someone on here said it took a couple hours. The directions say up to 8 hours. I guess it all depends? Just keep an eye on it. I don't know!!

anaelisabethlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaelisabethlee Posted 3 May 2014 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 23

A

Original message sent by titalali

I need some help with the conversion of Clair's 50ml of water. Exactly how much water do you add? And if my oven doesn't go to 80 degrees then I guess I have to air dry it? Someone on here said it took a couple hours. The directions say up to 8 hours. I guess it all depends? Just keep an eye on it. I don't know!!

50 ml is 1.7 fl ounces I had it on 70 but it wasn't done in that time so I left it on about twice the time. How low does it go?

titalali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
titalali Posted 3 May 2014 , 7:35pm
post #17 of 23

AThe lowest my oven goes as 170°!

DeniseNH Posted 3 May 2014 , 8:42pm
post #18 of 23

Save yourself a lot of tears and just order Sugar Dress.  Probably the same as Cake Lace but I too will only use SugarVeil if a stiff bow loop is needed.  Will be posting a corset with Sugar Dress Lace soon.  Delivering it tomorrow.  Can't wait.

wendyjune Posted 5 May 2014 , 8:38pm
post #19 of 23

ACake lace is the best heat your oven to 70 degrees if it is gas by using a oven thermometer then turn off and place in the oven this works perfect or you can air dry it takes 3/4 hours.

DeniseNH Posted 5 May 2014 , 9:04pm
post #20 of 23

That would be 170 degrees in the USA.  :-)

wendyjune Posted 5 May 2014 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 23

AI know you're ovens lowest is 170 degrees so if you put in a oven thermometer and heat it till it reaches 70 degrees place caje lace in then turn the oven off this works perfectly.

sandjckaes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandjckaes Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 9:29pm
post #22 of 23

im trying out my first Claire Bowman mat today. I will let you know. Im using sugar dress. Im not sure what brand its closer to. I got it off of global sugar art

mk33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mk33 Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 2:58pm
post #23 of 23

Ais anybody can tell me if sugar dress is the same claire bowman cake lace

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%