I Need Help Figuring Out What Decorating Tip To Use!

Decorating By DanDos Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 3:53am by auzzi

DanDos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanDos Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 8

AHello everybody,

So I just bought the book, Baking with the Cake Boss. I am going to make some cookies with buddy's recipe, but he calls for the #7 star tip to pipe the dough. I can not find a number 7 star that he's saying to use, so can you help me find out what tip I should buy instead or if there is a #7 star tip and I just can't find it? Please and thank you!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 8

Isn't there pictures of the tips identifying them somewhere (usually at the back of the book) to help you know what it's like?

That I think would be a extra large tip - the star opening would be about 1/2" wide.

Hope that helps.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanDos Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 8

A

Original message sent by kakeladi

Isn't there pictures of the tips identifying them somewhere (usually at the back of the book) to help you know what it's like? That I think would be a extra large tip - the star opening would be about 1/2" wide. Hope that helps.

There is nothing in the book which is why I'm having such a problem finding this tip, do you think an 1/2" opening would be to big to pipe cookie dough?

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 8

call the bakery and ask what brand they use 201-659-3671

karess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karess Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 12:13am
post #7 of 8

Is the star tip big? There are different types of tips... the ones I am aware of are: "decorator" and "pastry" tips. The decorator tips are the ones you can find at stores such as michaels and joanns and are smaller while the pastry tips can usually be found at restaurant or cake supply shops. I thiiiink he might be using this tip (see link below)...?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ateco-827-9-16-open-star-7-pastry-tube-august-thomsen/144827.html

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 3:53am
post #8 of 8

He is using a commercial pastry-cook size 7 pastry tube.

Size 7 refers to 7mm in width, which is just a touch wider than one quarter inch. Commercial pastry-cook star tubes come in size #3 to #17 which is 1/8-inch to nearly 3/4-inch in width. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%