Fondant Flowers

Decorating By cakeluvva Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 9:45pm by cakeluvva

cakeluvva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeluvva Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 7

How Do i make flowers out of fondant that look reallistic and good enough to have coming all the way down from the top of a white wedding cake? Should I use gum paste? Or fondant? And what tools Do I need? LMK... thx! anybody!

Cheers!

6 replies
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 7

I like a 50/50 mix of both..its easy to work with and won't dry out too quickly, but when they do dry they are nice and hard and have a great look. Although, I am sure if you went one way or the other it wouldn't matter too much; I'd recommend always having a bit of gum paste though, even if its not 50/50, and you'd rather do a 75/15 ratio, I would recommend just having that "bit" of gum paste to help with stability. Its more up to you and your preference, I go buy my climate I'm from a cold-dry (extremely dry) climate so I can get away with not using 100% gum paste for my flowers. Maybe do a few test flowers with varying ratios and see what works best for you. 

cakeluvva Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

OK - thank you very much!

So always have some gum paste on hand to mix with the fondant.

Can you colour gum paste the same way as I would colour fondant? 

Also, do I need to use my 'gum paste' modelling kit in any way for it? I do have one from Cake Boss.

lmk! THx

Gingerlocks Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeluvva 

OK - thank you very much!

So always have some gum paste on hand to mix with the fondant.

Can you colour gum paste the same way as I would colour fondant? 

Also, do I need to use my 'gum paste' modeling kit in any way for it? I do have one from Cake Boss.

lmk! THx

Yep, you can colour gum paste, its no different really; although, you have to be carefully not to add a crazy amount of colour or it can get a bit goopy, I like using the powdered colours for colouring small abouts of fondant or gum paste just because there's less of a chance of it going wrong. Gum paste drys out a lot faster than fondant, so just make sure its always covered when you're not working with it or it'll go hard and get these nasty little dry bits in it..which you can't get rid of. I would use my gum paste modeling kit for any flowers, yes..even if you did fondant flowers. 

cakeluvva Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 7

Ok - Perfect!! Will remember that. Do you know where I could get some videos of how to do fondant flowers? I've never done them - but i do recall doing something with strips of fondant/gum paste then using one of the tools in the gum paste modelling kit to form it into a rose?? 

Or even if u posted a vid onto the reply to this email? thx so much for all ur help!

CHeers

Gingerlocks Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 7

I would try youtube..it does take quite a bit of practice though. You'll need cutters, but again check youtube and see what kind of flowers you'd like to make and they will probably tell you what cutters you'll need for that specific flower. Good luck!

cakeluvva Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 7

OK... perfect - thank you very much!!

Any other tips? :):)jk.

Seeya!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%