Summer And Smbc

Decorating By jensco1687 Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 11:52pm by AZCouture

jensco1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensco1687 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 9

I have fallen in love with the taste and texture of SMBC, but have been advised not to use it in the summer due to how sensitive it can be to temperature. I've not experimented with it for a summer wedding cake, but am curious if any one has? Maybe a shortening ratio mixed in? Thanks!:)

8 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 9

AI use it exclusively, and where I'm at, it can be a hundred degrees plus for weeks on end. But the air conditioning in my studio, vehicle and anywhere else the cake will be delivered to makes it a non issue.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 9

AIMHO, shortening ratio is a whole different cake than SMBC or iMBC. If you are in love with SMBC, you will not like shortening bc.

I am new, so I wonder about outside weddings - Personally, if I had to use shortening I wouldn't make the cake for anyone. I'm all natural,mostly organic, never shortening. Nancy

jensco1687 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks AZ! I've been wanting to make the transition and am really glad to hear how stable it can be.

Nancy- do you have a natural/organic fondant too?

AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 9

AYou definitely need to tell people it's not suitable to plop outside all afternoon though. Definitely needs to be kept indoors in the air conditioning. If a person is comfortable in the surrounding environment and not sweating, then the cake will be ok too.

nancylee61 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 1:51am
post #6 of 9

AHi, No, not yet, I use the marshmallow one. I haven't found organic marshmallows yet! Most people here want buttercream anyway, not fondant, whichis why is am working so hard on getting it smooth and sharp! Nancy

nancylee61 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 1:51am
post #7 of 9

AGood to know. Thank you! Nancy

jensco1687 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks AZ, i've so far not had a wedding cake displayed outdoors. That just sounds super scary!

AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 9

APeople here just don't do outdoor events like that when it gets too hot. And even if it happens to be a warmer than usual day, that no one predicted, as long as the cake isn't in direct sunlight, and it has good air circulation, it's gonna be fine. Just might have to readjust delivery time, and time the cake chilling versus time it needs to come back to serving temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%