Attatching A Fondant Belt To A Buttercream Cake.

Decorating By joycesdaughter111 Updated 2 Jul 2014 , 1:32pm by who6853

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 8

Is it possible to adhere a fondant/gum paste belt to a butter cream cake??? Will it be too heavy to hold itself up?  I have no idea how to go about this.

The one in the photo looks like a REAL belt attatched to butter cream. I don't understand  how this was attatched to the buttercream without messing it up unless maybe they chilled the cake well. 

If I can't figure this out I will have to rest the belt on the cake board which will not look as nice as the cake in the pic. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

7 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 8

AYep, it's not any different than a fondant stripe attached to bc. I can do it, over SMBC. I make sure the cake is very cold, and it sticks fine. Need to use judgement of course, can't be too heavy.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, AZCouture. I thought I would need tooth picks or something to hold it up somehow.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 8

make sure the fondant is not too thick because if it is, it will not attach well and may slide down the cake.

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 8

AWill the fondant get soft if left sitting on the buttercream too long?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 8

AI always mix a bit of tylose powder or gumpaste into the fondant if I do make something like that, just to keep it from stretching or warping when I put it on. It shouldn't get soft or gooey unless you cut off air to the cake by putting it in a container that traps moisture around the cake.

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 8

AI was just wondering because I made cupcakes with smbc and put fondant mixed with gumpaste flowers on it and after a few hours the flowers were soft.

who6853 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
who6853 Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 8

Beautiful cake.  What are the eyelets made from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%