Attatching A Fondant Belt To A Buttercream Cake.

Decorating By joycesdaughter111 Updated 2 Jul 2014 , 1:32pm by who6853

joycesdaughter111 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 8

Is it possible to adhere a fondant/gum paste belt to a butter cream cake??? Will it be too heavy to hold itself up?  I have no idea how to go about this.

The one in the photo looks like a REAL belt attatched to butter cream. I don't understand  how this was attatched to the buttercream without messing it up unless maybe they chilled the cake well. 

If I can't figure this out I will have to rest the belt on the cake board which will not look as nice as the cake in the pic. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

7 replies
AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 8

AYep, it's not any different than a fondant stripe attached to bc. I can do it, over SMBC. I make sure the cake is very cold, and it sticks fine. Need to use judgement of course, can't be too heavy.

joycesdaughter111 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, AZCouture. I thought I would need tooth picks or something to hold it up somehow.

1234me Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 8

make sure the fondant is not too thick because if it is, it will not attach well and may slide down the cake.

waggs Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 8

AWill the fondant get soft if left sitting on the buttercream too long?

AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 8

AI always mix a bit of tylose powder or gumpaste into the fondant if I do make something like that, just to keep it from stretching or warping when I put it on. It shouldn't get soft or gooey unless you cut off air to the cake by putting it in a container that traps moisture around the cake.

waggs Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 8

AI was just wondering because I made cupcakes with smbc and put fondant mixed with gumpaste flowers on it and after a few hours the flowers were soft.

who6853 Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 8

Beautiful cake.  What are the eyelets made from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%