Cake Support Solutions

Decorating By stefkovic Updated 5 Apr 2014 , 3:49am by Dejasnow

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 15

Has anybody used the products from Cake Board Solutions....www.cakesupportsolutions.com? I am curious because I have odd size layers and he says he can make the sizes I need for a small fee. I received a sample and it looks to be a very nice product. Thanks for any feedback or advise. 

14 replies
kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 15

I've never heard of it, but it looks the same as the SPS, except more expensive. Plus, those dowels that are used are solid and look pretty thick. I can imagine that it will displace the cake once their inserted, where as the SPS has hollow pillars and the cake will just go inside of it. They also make plates in all odd and even sizes. 

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 15

I can't get either system here, but I would choose SPS over that one, that is just an expensive way of doing what I already do.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 15

It looks like a nice concept, not crazy about the overlapping sizes. I never used SPS, are they expensive? I usually buy cake boards and wooden dowels. I would love an easier option that is cost effective.

kellyk1234 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 15

A

Original message sent by enga

It looks like a nice concept, not crazy about the overlapping sizes. I never used SPS, are they expensive? I usually buy cake boards and wooden dowels. I would love an easier option that is cost effective.

Not at all! On globalsugarart.com, for example one 8 inch plate is $3.49 and a pack of 12 - 4 inch columns are $8.89. They also have scored 9 inch columns that you can cut down to size. It's hard to cut, so that job is for my fiancé. He uses a small electric saw to cut. If I'm making a cake for friends or family I make sure to take the plates and columns back home to wash and reuse again.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 15

In every picture the cake plates are sticking out from the cake? why? I think most people these days prefer to be able to hide the support system within their cakes. The pictures with a border over the cake, the border is bulging because of the plate I think. What size do you need? You can order the SPS an inch smaller than you need and it will still work. The ONLY pain with SPS is they do not make smaller than a 6". Anyway, if you don't mind the support showing, this product may work OK for you. 

enga Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyk1234 

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Not at all! On globalsugarart.com, for example one 8 inch plate is $3.49 and a pack of 12 - 4 inch columns are $8.89. They also have scored 9 inch columns that you can cut down to size. It's hard to cut, so that job is for my fiancé. He uses a small electric saw to cut. If I'm making a cake for friends or family I make sure to take the plates and columns back home to wash and reuse again.

Thank you, I will check them out.

enga Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by FioreCakes 

In every picture the cake plates are sticking out from the cake? why? I think most people these days prefer to be able to hide the support system within their cakes. The pictures with a border over the cake, the border is bulging because of the plate I think. What size do you need? You can order the SPS an inch smaller than you need and it will still work. The ONLY pain with SPS is they do not make smaller than a 6". Anyway, if you don't mind the support showing, this product may work OK for you. 

That's what I didn't like about them either and they don't have lower than a 7" unless you can special order different sizes.

Awwww man, I would have needed them to fit a 6'' 9" and 12",:cry:.

stefkovic Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 1:51am
post #9 of 15

AWell I spoke to him today and he said he could special cut me a 9x12 support plate and cake plate and a 6x8 support and cake plate plus send me the 18" cake plate, 9 " cake plate and support , 7" cake plate and support and all support plates include dowels for 45.00. That's 9 pieces plus dowells and 2 are special cut sizes. I didn't think that was bad. But he also said since I am stacking my cakes I really don't need to get the cake plates that I could just use the cake support plates and my own cake rounds just punch a hole in it like with the SPS. So it would be cheaper that way. I think I am gonna try it. Thanks for the input everyone.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 3:55am
post #10 of 15

Let us know how it goes! I would love to use a system with customizable plates. I'd really like to know if the plates are easily hidden. 

enga Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:07am
post #11 of 15

Me too! I haven't tried the SPS, if it's around the same price I would like to compare the pros and cons.

kellyk1234 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 10:52am
post #12 of 15

AThat doesn't sound like a bad price with all that you're getting. I didn't know that's what you meant by "odd" shaped. I'd also like to know how it works out for you! :)

stefkovic Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:30am
post #13 of 15

AWedding is in June. But yes I will tell you how they are to work with.

Dejasnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejasnow Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:42am
post #14 of 15

I feel a bit dumb asking this but what exactly is SPS? I have always gotten my plates, pillars etc from Wilton, GSA, or now i have my husband building me cake stands :) . But I am curious about this .

Dejasnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejasnow Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:49am
post #15 of 15

Well never mind! :) If I would of just looked there are quite a few threads and posts... Time for me to do some reading :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%