Need To Vent! "no Way Would I Pay That Much For A Cake!"

Decorating By Angelia4096 Updated 9 Apr 2014 , 10:14pm by Angelia4096

Angelia4096 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelia4096 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 40

Hi. I'm not sure where I should post this so forgive me if this is not the right place. 

Last night after 10 pm my so called good friend texted me asking if I could make a cake for her only child's 10th birthday and pick it up at 9:15 this Sunday morning. Ok, that's not normally a problem, but why wait until 4 days before you need the cake to order it??? I told her I didn't know if I have time because of two big orders that I already have, but I'd try depending on what she wanted. She wants a 9" and 12" heart shaped vanilla cake with strawberry filling, creme cheese icing, silver high heels, mirror, brush, 2 tubes of lipstick (red and hot pink), and get this...pink camo all over the cake and pink roses all around the bottom tier! Ok...her 10 year old daughter picked out what she wants on the cake. Weird combination, but that's ok (I think). I told her it would be $170. The problem is that she got MAD at me and said "No way would I pay that for a cake especially for a child's birthday cake! I only paid $200 for my wedding cake (25 years ago and was buttercream) and it had a fountain and was very detailed." Then texted me back this morning saying, "I got it ordered for three times cheaper (that's only $56!!!). As good of friends as we have been and with all the craziness with illnesses that I have been through the last two years and three months and now having to spend Monday thru Thursday till noon down here for Katie to homeschool. I cannot understand but I guess u did not think as much of our friendship as I did. Because I am made out money!!! Lol I mean really $170"

I don't think my price is too high! Do you? That's a lot of work especially on top of what I already have to do. I don't think it was wrong of me to charge my "good friend" that only contacts me when she wants something or it's convenient for her. Do you? I made a simple 9x13 zebra striped cake exactly like her daughter wanted last year for only $30 and another $30 for 2 dozen ice cream cone cupcakes with swirls and sprinkles.

She also wanted the same ice cream cone cupcakes for next week. I was going to charge her the same price as the last 2 years, but we didn't talk about that price. She doesn't want the cupcakes now either. Ok. NO PROBLEM!

This wouldn't be such a big deal if she didn't do stuff like this to me all the time. Well, I've obviously put a stop to that and she obviously doesn't like it!! What would you say to her if you were me?

Thanks for letting me vent!! I feel a little better! :)

39 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 40

AWhat has happened to the definition of friends over the years? I see this sort of thing described all the time, and I cannot fathom it! The people I call friends would never act like this! It's almost like being that word, frenemies is the norm. Never really trusting anyone. :-(

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 40

It's the "gimmee, gimmee, gimmee, I deserve it" culture we live in. Frankly the fewer of my friends who order cakes the better IMO.

What astounds me about the bartering for cake prices is that if you compare it to any other business it just doesn't happen unless you work in a market or live in a culture that it's acceptable. If I buy a skirt from a store I don't go to the counter and tell them "I can get it cheaper down the road so can you give me X percentage off as I am doing you a favour by buying from you" Or, my friend knows someone who knows someone who can give it to me for ... can you match the price" This is a luxury item as my mum says and no one has to have it, life does not depend upon it if you can't afford it you don't buy it, if I need a new handbag (I do incidentally) I buy what I can afford not necessarily what I want.

Sending you cake hugs, your price is not too high. 

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 40

Because I am made out money!!! Lol I mean really $170"

Wow! Doesn't sound like a very good friend at all :-(  Does she think YOU are made of money? How much did she expect you to charge? Where on Earth is she finding it so cheap? (and by cheap I mean poorly made too) Very sorry but it only seems like she calls you two friends but doesn't actually act like it. If you needed her for whatever profession she does would she lower the price that much? 

Claire138 you're exactly right!

7031annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7031annie Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 40

ABless your heart. I think you were more than fair with your prices and sorry this happened. Friends and family can be the worst. you expect them to treat your fairly and rational. I am still learning but I charge family and friends for my cakes and have to explain every darn dollar. I have some that have the " it's just cake" mentality and they can go to grocery store and I look at it as a relief in a way as they are not types who appreciate what I do friends/family or not. Keep your head up Hun and as much as it stings don't let it make you feel bad or that you were wrong. Move forward and put her on your. " No cake for you" list.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 40

AYou do not need to say anything. Just cut her off of your life.

nocturne86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nocturne86 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 40

AI agree with the cake witch . That's not a friend :(

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 40

AIt is common in my area for folks to get on Facebook or various classified media stating they will pay $50 for a two tier cake with this and that. Basically telling what they will pay. I am sure someone will grab that order but who knows what the finished product looks like or how clean their kitchen is prior to the process. It is the mentality of the I am entitled generation! Not the customer I want.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 40

I think I said on another thread that I would rather be shot in the face than do a cake for an acquaintance. You called her a friend, but she certainly doesn't sound like one.. If she is, she sounds like an idiot. And a self centered one, at that. If she's an idiot, you're just going to have to expect this kind of thing from her.

I assume your price was a huge discount on what you'd charge someone else? Consider training your friends in advance - let them know how hard you work on your cakes and that your customers are mostly rich people who don't blink at spending $350 each on several birthday cakes a year -- when you and she would only be able to pay like $50 (or whatever). That way when they ask for cake, they know what they're asking.

LovelySweetCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelySweetCake Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 40

AYou should be proud of how far you have come in a year! It sounds like you know your worth as a baker and as a friend and it's a good thing that you didn't allow this person to take advantage of you! You have to teach people how to treat you, and I'm sure your "friend" will get what she paid for and like vldutoit said she might not like it. Stick with the customers that value your work, don't kill yourself for almost nothing!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 5:30pm
post #11 of 40

Unfortunately you have spoiled her by letting her get away with this because you were friends. If she was such a friend why would she let the price of a cake end the friendship? Like you said she only contacts you when she needs something, and 4 days notice, wow. Is that a true friend or is it someone who takes advantage of your friendship.

Be glad that you found this out now instead of later. Let her get the cake three times cheaper, (which I doubt that she did), she not only lost a good friend, she could quite possibly ruin her daughter's birthday in the process.

Don't feel bad about this, she is just trying to lay a guilt trip on you. Stand strong and tell her "okay, if that's what you want to do, fine", and let it go at that.

*I would love to be a fly on the wall to have a gander at that $56.00 cake :grin:

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 40

AI just don't do cakes for acquaintances. It's just too messy, I'm always booked and refer them to a friend. Now my friends (I don't have that many) I don't even charge them. Although I'm really very shocked there are that many people out there acting like that!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 5:51pm
post #13 of 40

AI don't either, most of my local friends make cakes, so that wouldn't be anything we'd ever ask one of the others to do. :D The others, well they request a cake like any other client and they're treated the same, with courtesy, options if the first price doesn't fit their budget, and a genuine thank you if it doesn't work out.

howsweet Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 40

AAZ, you're right, but from the posts I read on here, many people are not going to be able to handle that. Even if the baker can handle it on her end, her acquaintance may not be able to say no to a price she thinks is outrageous. I sold a cake to a neighbor over the weekend, first time ever, and I'm not sure this isn't what happened. I tried to give him every chance to back out, but I think his sister in law may have schooled him on how he was taken advantage of.

I don't care if all my neighbors think my cakes are over priced, actually I prefer it. But I hate the thought of living across the street from a nice man who thinks I cheated him.

howsweet Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 40

AOn a side note, I never have customers to my house. This was one of a handful of times I've done that and here was this woman, commenting on my furniture, seemed bothered that the cake base wasn't cake, too, cake was small, who designed this, are you sure she'd want a cake like this, poo pooed my driving instructions because any idiot can deliver a cake, loudly explained to her husband that the base wasn't edible, when I told her the topper wasn't edible because of the gold, she was all, well what IS edible etc.

Oops sorry, now I'm venting on someone else's thread. The last time I had a person like this was one of my first 5 cakes. Underpriced for a customer who wanted to barter with psychic readings hahaha!

I'm sure it can go better, but both experiences were worse than getting shot in the face (maybe I exaggerate)

howsweet Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 40

AAnd I'm not talking about a dummy tier. She thought you could eat the base the cake was sitting on. It was an inch thick.

Sorry....

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 40

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Oops sorry, now I'm venting on someone else's thread. The last time I had a person like this was one of my first 5 cakes. Underpriced for a customer who wanted to barter with psychic readings hahaha!

I'm sure it can go better, but both experiences were worse than getting shot in the face (maybe I exaggerate)

Someone wanted to barter for psychic readings?!?! That is awesomely hilarious! I think I'd be answering, "How about you use those psychic powers to deduce what my response will be?"

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 7:42pm
post #18 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

Someone wanted to barter for psychic readings?!?! That is awesomely hilarious! I think I'd be answering, "How about you use those psychic powers to deduce what my response will be?"

Ha Ha! briliiant!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 7:57pm
post #19 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelia4096 

".......... Well, I've obviously put a stop to that and she obviously doesn't like it!! What would you say to her if you were me?

"You'll certainly find a business to make you what you need if you shop around."

( and she will.......but it won't be you.)   OP - She is not a FRIEND she is a user and a moocher.

PS:  how is this different than a person who sells MercedesBenz to make a living, but he and his neighbors cannot afford to own one.  Does he give Mercedes away for free to his neighbors every time they want one, and then pay the price himself.   

howsweet Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 8:10pm
post #20 of 40

Yep ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

Lol!!

She really did. I was so green I even considered it for about a second.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 9:04pm
post #21 of 40

Walmart will match any other store's price on the same item, so why can't you do the same? :D So many people cannot see a situation from any other perspective than their own egocentric self.

howsweet Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 11:24pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie789 

Walmart will match any other store's price on the same item, so why can't you do the same? :D So many people cannot see a situation from any other perspective than their own egocentric self.

This point of view represents exactly what you accuse others of. Only seeing it from an egocentric point of view. What Walmart does not do is compete on an uneven playing field. Anyone can start a Walmart and compete with them. Why? BECAUSE WALMART IS IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY. 

But the cake business is not a level playing field anymore. No one can try to make a living competing against people who charge half to a third what the product is worth.  The reason there aren't trade laws to protect people from this is that when they were making them, it never occurred to them that people wouldn't sell their products for as much as they can. That they wouldn't act in their own best interests.

People who undercharge for cake cannot make a living off of their "business" if they were to do it full time.  People undercharging for cake are typically making way less money than they realize and would be better off getting part time job. Collectively they are harming the industry as a whole.

When people sell cake for less than it's value, they throw money away, undercut others - odd behaviors. The same people wouldn't sell their house for half price, but routinely sell cake for half price. That is unreasonable behavior. 

But these people mostly cannot be convinced of their situation  Without exception they always have another income bringing money into their household. If they didn't they'd really know what they have to charge for cake. And be forced to charge more.

Now please, if you're married or have a job, don't take this as an attack on you. I'm not saying everyone who's married is undercharging. I'm saying everyone who's undercharging is married or otherwise has some kind of  primary income, like a day job.  That's just kind of a necessary fact - by definition.

Or they would be homeless bakers

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 12:02am
post #23 of 40

AI think Walmart should offer [I]free[/I] psychic readings. Totally. It's not like they have to buy any ingredients or anything.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 12:44am
post #24 of 40

I hope you find a picture of the $56 cake so that you can send it into cakewrecks.com ................

For me, the toppers alone would be more than $56....

Carrie789 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 12:51am
post #25 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

This point of view represents exactly what you accuse others of. Only seeing it from an egocentric point of view. What Walmart does not do is compete on an uneven playing field. Anyone can start a Walmart and compete with them. Why? BECAUSE WALMART IS IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY. 

But the cake business is not a level playing field anymore. No one can try to make a living competing against people who charge half to a third what the product is worth.  The reason there aren't trade laws to protect people from this is that when they were making them, it never occurred to them that people wouldn't sell their products for as much as they can. That they wouldn't act in their own best interests.

People who undercharge for cake cannot make a living off of their "business" if they were to do it full time.  People undercharging for cake are typically making way less money than they realize and would be better off getting part time job. Collectively they are harming the industry as a whole.

When people sell cake for less than it's value, they throw money away, undercut others - odd behaviors. The same people wouldn't sell their house for half price, but routinely sell cake for half price. That is unreasonable behavior. 

But these people mostly cannot be convinced of their situation  Without exception they always have another income bringing money into their household. If they didn't they'd really know what they have to charge for cake. And be forced to charge more.

Now please, if you're married or have a job, don't take this as an attack on you. I'm not saying everyone who's married is undercharging. I'm saying everyone who's undercharging is married or otherwise has some kind of  primary income, like a day job.  That's just kind of a necessary fact - by definition.

Or they would be homeless bakers

Duh. That was tongue in cheek. I was not seriously suggesting she compete with Walmart. (Thus, the smiley face in case someone actually thought I meant it for real.) I was saying lots of customers seem to expect the Walmart policy and can't see the baker's point of view like the "no way'" friend. And, where did you get that I undercharge? Maybe you are having a bad day.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 1:07am
post #26 of 40

I just had a conversation with my husband this morning about not only do you have to deal with people having what I call the "Wal-Mart mentality" (the attitude of "well I can get a cake at Wal-Mart for $15") you all know what I'm talking about, but you also have to compete with a million people out there who think because they've mastered the star tip that they should sell their cakes.  Honestly there is one lady locally and 85% of her cakes have fondant cut out polka dots as decoration.  SERIOUSLY !  And they sell their cakes for nearly nothing.  I constantly have people call me and when I give them a price they say well so and so only charges $xx.  It's so frustrating.  I'm still learning everyday.  I put hours and hours into classes, and videos, tutorials, here on CC learning from all of you and I've put just as many hours into practicing and working on recipes.  And I won't even discuss how much money I've spent on cake "stuff".  And some of these people flooding the market have no business selling cakes !  It hurts the integrity of what we do and our pocket books !  Ugh... climbing off my soap box.  Sorry for ranting.

Carrie789 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 1:17am
post #27 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljdills 

I just had a conversation with my husband this morning about not only do you have to deal with people having what I call the "Wal-Mart mentality" (the attitude of "well I can get a cake at Wal-Mart for $15") you all know what I'm talking about, but you also have to compete with a million people out there who think because they've mastered the star tip that they should sell their cakes.  Honestly there is one lady locally and 85% of her cakes have fondant cut out polka dots as decoration.  SERIOUSLY !  And they sell their cakes for nearly nothing.  I constantly have people call me and when I give them a price they say well so and so only charges $xx.  It's so frustrating.  I'm still learning everyday.  I put hours and hours into classes, and videos, tutorials, here on CC learning from all of you and I've put just as many hours into practicing and working on recipes.  And I won't even discuss how much money I've spent on cake "stuff".  And some of these people flooding the market have no business selling cakes !  It hurts the integrity of what we do and our pocket books !  Ugh... climbing off my soap box.  Sorry for ranting.

I like your rant. And, totally agree with it.

ItsTerriC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ItsTerriC Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 1:56am
post #28 of 40

I am a "hobby" baker. I only bake for family functions. That being said, I put weeks of planning in to every cake, and hours of work baking and decorating them. I wouldn't consider charging for my cakes, they aren't nearly good enough. Often, my husband talks about opening a bakery for me so I can do what I love all the time. I always say if I had to do it all the time, I wouldn't love it as much. The truth is, I know how much time, materials and effort it takes to make a beautiful cake. I also know that most people wouldn't be willing to pay enough for me to break even on my cakes, never mind try to make a profit. Never under price your work. I truly believe if the "customers" that want those discounted prices ever tried to make the cake they want, they would realize that your prices are more than fair. They seem to think that because we have spent time learning, and bought some tools, that we can just wave a magic wand and the cake will create itself in just a few minutes. Don't I wish! Granted, if I were better at my craft, it might not take me as long, but no really cool cake is "quick and easy". It takes practice, hard work, passion and talent. I hope I never have to give up the labor of love that it takes to make my family's cakes, but if I do, you can bet I won't try to barter or haggle over the price I have to pay.

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 2:58am
post #29 of 40

AI

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 3:08am
post #30 of 40

A

Original message sent by howsweet

And I'm not talking about a dummy tier. She thought you could eat the base the cake was sitting on. It was an inch thick.

Sorry....

Wow. Was she disappointed to learn that neither the serving knife nor the dessert plate were edible? I certainly hope someone got to her on time to let her know that BOTH the table and the tablecloth are not fit for consumption.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%