ASo here is the situation. .I work full time and only decorate cakes on the side as I have orders im also just getting started and March was the first month that I was booked.
My sister in law referred a friend to me for a baby shower cake. The girl wanted a quote and a tasting. Iprovided the quote even though its really early in her pregnancy and she can't 100% commit to a design. So I quoted her with prices that start at x. I'll only do tastings for a wedding cake. As if right now it just doesn't make sense cost wise. Now she has messaged me back and wants to know what I recommend flavor wise. So im thinking of providing her a list of flavors and to contact me when it gets closer to the date. As of right now I've already spent about 30 minutes just giving her a quote because she really just doesn't know what she wants.
Has anyone else ever had this issue and if so how did you nicley push them away until a later date?
You've got a couple of options:
You can send her an email that says you know how excited she is about the new baby and planning the shower. Since there is quite a bit of time to go in the pregnancy you recommend waiting until the shower date gets closer before planning the cake. Recommend she contact you again in 5-6 months.
You can tell her if she wants to reserve your services she needs to put down a non-refundable deposit of $75 or $100 or whatever and that you will meet with her or message her to determine all the details several weeks before the shower. Kindly tell her that if she chooses this option it is just to book you as the decorator and that you will not be able to exchange endless messages between now and the shower about the cake design.