Cake Decorators Please Help. Really Appreciate Your Help!! - How To Paint Onto Cake

Decorating By Jasmin32 Updated 1 Apr 2014 , 8:58am by Crazy-Gray

Jasmin32 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:42am
post #1 of 5

A[IMG ALT=""][/IMG] Hi everyone!

I have this cake to make next weekend. I'm not entirely certain how to do it yet. Do you think black dust mixed with vodka (or similar) to paint the wolf will be best? Or use paste? Thanks so much in advance for any tips you may be able to give me :) :) :)

4 replies
queenfa Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:58am
post #2 of 5

AThe wolf is molded and painted, goes beyond dust and vodka. It appears like the face is constructed first.You must be good at "oil and canvas" sort of art to accomplish this, i mean food color of course. If possible, start the face consruction now(most likely from gumpaste /modelling chocolate) and see how you like it before going further. Good luck.

Jasmin32 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 8:12am
post #3 of 5

AThanks Queenfa, yes I plan to mould the cake into the shape first, I have prepared an image to help me mould the sponge to the shape. I am a painter too so not too worried about the actual painting, just not sure what edible tools will be best to use, dust, paste, ect. Thanks again :)

queenfa Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 8:39am
post #4 of 5

AGel or paste color definite. For one, dust is more expensive and that's why it's usually used, most times, only as highlights as against actual painting. Secondly, the picture has different shades of black which shows as grey where it is lighter. You can best achieve this through use of paste/gel. With this type of job, there are going to to be wiping and cleaning as corrections only to repaint, colors are best for this. The dust may come later to brighten the completed work.

Crazy-Gray Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 8:58am
post #5 of 5

AI wouldn't mould/carve the cake itself, I'd crumb coat a plain square and then build up the face shape with fondant on top then drape your rolled fondant over that, it will give a nice clean finish.

What sort of painting do you do? if you are a watercolour painter you might prefer to use pure alcohol, it dries way faster than vodka and lets you work much faster; you can buy dipping solution/rejuvenator liquid and use it with sugarflair colour gels (others too maybe but pure alcohol doesn’t work well with wilton gels) or dusts (when the alcohol evaporates off it can leave loose dust on the surface which can smudge like pastels so I always add a little confectioners glaze if using dusts to make sure they are well bound when dry). For pale colours brush alcohol onto the fondant before applying colour as you would with water if applying a watercolour wash.

If you are more of an oils/acrylic painter you could try mixing dusts with cocoa butter and literally a drop or two of cooking oil (you can also use those blocks of coconut fat in place of cocoa butter). This gives bold acrylic-like colours which set quite quickly (depending on the room temp and how much oil you added) and you can cleanly scrape off mistakes with a sharp knife. If you try this keep your mixed colours over a bowl of hot water or they start to set annoyingly quickly - like on the brush!

Quote by @%username% on %date%