Gumpaste Brands

Decorating By idahospaz Updated 25 Apr 2014 , 3:22am by AZCouture

idahospaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idahospaz Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 22

AHello,

I was wondering which brand(s) of Gumpaste you all prefer? I have tried making my own, tried the Wilton premade and mix, and I've tried unsuccessfully to order Satin Ice (always out of stock). I wasn't extremely happy with any of these options.

Thank you -- I appreciate your feedback.

21 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 22

I use the Wilton powder to make my gumpaste.

idahospaz Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 22

AThank you :)

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 22

AI mix 1 lb of Fondant with one teaspoon of Tylose powder and let it rest overnight wrapped well in plastic wrap and in a sealed container. I've used Wilton GumTex as well but the I find the Tylose works a lot better and I can store leftovers for a long period of time without it hardening. If you find Tylose CMC you don't have to let it rest, you can use it right away.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 1:31am
post #5 of 22

I really like Choco-Pan gum paste and the Wilton ready made.

MelodiaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelodiaCakes Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 1:50am
post #6 of 22

I also like the Wilton ready-made the best. I've found that it stays soft inside the resealable bag and everything! :)

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 1:55am
post #7 of 22

LOVE Satin Ice Gumpaste, or use tylose in fondant.  Either one works, but the Satin Ice Gumpaste can be rolled thinner and dries nicer.

idahospaz Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 22

sunkissedbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunkissedbakery Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 2:04am
post #9 of 22

AFondarific!!! Best stuff there is. Gotta use amazon though :/ but I use that brand for everything: fondant, him paste, and modeling chocolate. I'd love to make my own, but I really don't have time anymore.

idahospaz Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 22

AThank you Sunkissed! I greatly appreciate the info. Have you ever tried Fondx?

sunkissedbakery Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:12am
post #11 of 22

AFondx is just a slightly better version of Fondarific I think. For fondant, fondx dries better, but no elephant skin. Fondarific stays soft. I love both for gum paste, because they stay soft for such a long time. I honestly like Fondarific's modeling chocolate better, but that's just because I'm biased, and the price is right :) Glad to help! I've done tons of research on lots of stuff because I mostly do weddings, so feel free to PM me if you have more questions :)

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:13am
post #12 of 22

I've used Satin Ice and it seemed pretty good.  I just bought some pink and white from Chocopan, and I'm really liking it. I would rather buy it than make it, just one more thing I don't have time for.

maybenot Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:19am
post #13 of 22

Actually, FondX fondant and Fondarific fondant are very different products.  Fondarific and Duff's fondant are more closely related. 

Fondarific & Duff's are both candy melt based and much higher in fat than regular fondants.  They don't contain the same gums and drying agents, either.  They generally harden more as a result of cooling rather than drying.  Adding gums to them to create "gum paste" doesn't help much because of all of the fat.

FondX tends to be softer than Satin Ice and with gum[s] added, it makes a nice gum paste.

idahospaz Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 22

idahospaz Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 22

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 1:39pm
post #16 of 22

I have been making the Nicholas Lodge recipe, or other similar variations, on and off for years now and really love it.  It has great stretch and you can get it really thin.  When I get lazy I mix up some powdered stuff but it does not stretch as well.  Recently I bought some Satin Ice on a recommendation but I do not like it.  I find it too soft and not stretchy enough.

idahospaz Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 22

AThanks so much for the info! I found the Nicholas Lodge recipe on Craftsy and I will give it a try this weekend.

sunkissedbakery Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 7:36pm
post #18 of 22

A

Original message sent by maybenot

Actually, FondX fondant and Fondarific fondant are very different products.  Fondarific and Duff's fondant are more closely related. 

Fondarific & Duff's are both candy melt based and much higher in fat than regular fondants.  They don't contain the same gums and drying agents, either.  They generally harden more as a result of cooling rather than drying.  Adding gums to them to create "gum paste" doesn't help much because of all of the fat.

FondX tends to be softer than Satin Ice and with gum[s] added, it makes a nice gum paste.

Actually.... http://www.craftsy.com/article/fondant-brand-comparison.

sunkissedbakery Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 22

AI don't know what the strike through was. I didn't do that haha silly iPhone.

maybenot Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 2:05am
post #20 of 22

Lesley's opinions about the various fondants are pretty much in line with mine. 

The only place I really disagree is with her take on Wilton.  It's [was ?] really great for covering cakes, and it's my preferred product for dummies and competition cakes. 

I'm pretty sure that her comments, and my experiences, are related to the "old" Wilton fondant and I haven't yet tried the new Decorator Preferred Fondant, which has been described as not only tasting different/better but also handling differently.

My real preference these days is Albert Uster's Fondart.  I really love the stuff.  I feel that it has all of the good qualities rolled into one product.  The price is decent and the colors are really vibrant.  Their color mixing chart is exhaustive, too.

sunkissedbakery Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 2:12am
post #21 of 22

AI just don't like Wilton fondant or gum paste. I didn't know there was anything better when is first started out, so my fondant cakes just weren't all that pretty. Then I read some articles, and found different brands and my mind was blown away by the difference. I recently used the new decorator Wilton fondant to teach a class, and I didn't find much of a difference. Certainly not enough to explain the price change, which I heard is just in my area. It dries too quickly and wrinkles and tears easily when I work with it. Someone that has been doing this for 15 years can probably use it with their eyes closed, but for a 5 year decorator I need a more pliable fondant.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 3:22am
post #22 of 22

AI love love love Satin Ice gumpaste! Hate the fondant, but they make a dang good GP. I can work with Wilton as well, it's ok. Not the kind you mix up yourself,but the ready made stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%