Decorating By sharon24 Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 3:09pm by Lilylight

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 6:16pm
post #31 of 45

Was each tier on it's own cardboard?

OneHotMess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneHotMess Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 6:22pm
post #32 of 45

I'm obviously no pro, but could someone who is weigh in a little bit on the whole "Shoving giant wax numbers into the top of a sculpted car which is then atop the cake" theory?

Wouldn't pushing those giant wax candle numbers into the cake - particularly if the cake was extra soft from not being refrigerated, or, extra-firm from being refrigerated (let's say a layer of filling got super-hard) - be a recipe for disaster? I know I have a hard time pushing a warmed knife through some types of mousse if I've got my fridge cranked up sufficiently, and that's a tool designed to cut - not some blunt waxy ugliness.

Is it possible that a sufficient amount of downward pressure, combined with a hand or arm that flew off of the candle (attached to someone who didn't realize the cake would be so hard to press into) and onto the cake and its decor, could cause that amount of disaster? Especially with a story that keeps changing?

If you know you delivered the cake in pristine condition AND have a clause in your contract to cover your rear, I'd say tell them to frost it. No more cake for them. If you aren't covered in your contract by something like "Once it leaves my hands and is signed for, OR you idiots refuse delivery because you're too cheap for mileage but not too cheap for cake, I am not liable for any damages," then maybe a nominal 10-15% refund. And THEN no more cake for them. I am fast learning, Rule #1 is "Cover my hot sweet patooter under a toasty blanket of legalese," and Rule #2 is "Expect to add to Rule #1 a LOT, because customers like to try to get cake for free."

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:18pm
post #33 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneHotMess 

I'm obviously no pro, but could someone who is weigh in a little bit on the whole "Shoving giant wax numbers into the top of a sculpted car which is then atop the cake" theory?

Wouldn't pushing those giant wax candle numbers into the cake - particularly if the cake was extra soft from not being refrigerated, or, extra-firm from being refrigerated (let's say a layer of filling got super-hard) - be a recipe for disaster? I know I have a hard time pushing a warmed knife through some types of mousse if I've got my fridge cranked up sufficiently, and that's a tool designed to cut - not some blunt waxy ugliness.

Is it possible that a sufficient amount of downward pressure, combined with a hand or arm that flew off of the candle (attached to someone who didn't realize the cake would be so hard to press into) and onto the cake and its decor, could cause that amount of disaster? Especially with a story that keeps changing?

If you know you delivered the cake in pristine condition AND have a clause in your contract to cover your rear, I'd say tell them to frost it. No more cake for them. If you aren't covered in your contract by something like "Once it leaves my hands and is signed for, OR you idiots refuse delivery because you're too cheap for mileage but not too cheap for cake, I am not liable for any damages," then maybe a nominal 10-15% refund. And THEN no more cake for them. I am fast learning, Rule #1 is "Cover my hot sweet patooter under a toasty blanket of legalese," and Rule #2 is "Expect to add to Rule #1 a LOT, because customers like to try to get cake for free."

I seriously don't like those candles - over the years I made many family cakes (for free I might add) and then somebody buys those wretched candles and the whole cake is ruined imo.  They don't even have much of a spike to push in (in fact it's pretty shallow) and it's quite thick.  I know they often mess cakes up because I have been the "victim" of poor candle choice for years!  I did start buying candles and supplying them - it was only when I made a 50th cake for my sister that I realised 50 candles was heading towards being a fire hazard! :)

I agree with everything you say.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:24pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

You know those candles (which I also HATE) take a lot of pressure to dig into the cake - I think somebody pressed too hard, hand slipped and the rest is obvious.....

true they do--we stuck a toothpick in the bottom of each candle and piped a star or flower and sink the base of the candle into that--the toothpick does the rest for you

eatmycakebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmycakebaby Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:27pm
post #35 of 45

it looks to me as if, while transporting it was not sitting level so the cake was moving a little bit more that it should and it started to slide....

#THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE NOT YOU!

I wouldn't have given them any thing back.  Looking at your picture and the picture they took the gumpaste man has a broken leg.  We all know that stuff is as hard as 3 bricks so there's not way all the stuff that went wrong went wrong without some HUMAN INTERACTION.

sorry it happen cake looked really nice in before picture.

Holstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holstar Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:58pm
post #36 of 45

AThe candle theory is looking like the possible reason!!!

sharon24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon24 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 8:42pm
post #37 of 45

thank you everyone, and really we won't know cos they re not being honest and changing the story.

I have refunded 33% as a goodwill but it has left a bitter taste 

And thank you for the compliments on the cake, it is not my original design but i got the cake makers advice and permission before using her design, hers is so much better than mine <3 

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 12:22am
post #38 of 45

To me it looks like the table cloth was being pulled out from under the cake and then the cake started to fall off the table but was maybe saved before it completed toppled but still shifted and lost all of the mushroom's and broke the figure's leg. It was really nice before and I doubt the end result was your fault at all.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 12:51am
post #39 of 45

AI just noticed the candle. Oh whyyyyy? And someone was probably so proud of that dang waxy monstrosity.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 12:57am
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon24 

thank you, you have put my mind at rest a bit that i couldn't have done any more, other than transport my self, i think in future i will include delivery in the quote for three tier cakes and just transport to the venue myself.

I do have a clause in my terms and conditions saying once cake has left me it is their responsibility, also advice about how to transport and how to store and cut but find it hard to stick to the t&c's incase it was my fault or they say bad things about me, this business is all word of mouth and do not want bad reviews

Then why are you asking for advice no one can provide here?  If you are a business, show them the photos and tell them they signed a clause saying once cake has left me it is their responsibility.  This is why you are left with a bad taste in your mouth for refunding 33%.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 3:59am
post #41 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I just noticed the candle. Oh whyyyyy? And someone was probably so proud of that dang waxy monstrosity.

I know right? Usually I'm long gone, but I was still there when they stuck those wax numbers in the pink cake in my profile. They also added a rhinestone tiara and complained about the shoe and some other things. I think this was one of the first 5 cakes I did.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 9:23am
post #42 of 45

They sooo dropped it, slammed on the brakes, head butted it, butt butted it whatever, definitely putting it down to them.  Poor cake. 

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 5:54pm
post #43 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakernoob 

To me it looks like the table cloth was being pulled out from under the cake and then the cake started to fall off the table but was maybe saved before it completed toppled but still shifted and lost all of the mushroom's and broke the figure's leg. It was really nice before and I doubt the end result was your fault at all.

I definitely think that is what happened.

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:17am
post #44 of 45

Also funny how customers will ask for giant fondant numbers on the cake and then add those dumb candles as well.  Why not just a few regular candles since the 30 was already on the front of the cake?

Lilylight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilylight Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 3:09pm
post #45 of 45

ASorry, I don't think the damage was your fault. It looks to me like whoever was holding/carrying it lost balance and maybe made a save-catch by grabbing the side of the cake a bit. If you look at the cake board, your original pic has 2 axes and a bunch of leaves. The pic they provided one of the axes is missing, the mans leg is broken, the leaves are not in the same place, and there looks to be a big thumb print on the left hand side right next to the man. Either they were driving and not careful and had to reactively grab part of the cake so that it didn't fly out of their hands or they mishandled it while carrying. I don't see how any of the above problems could've happened by any fault of your own (sliding, poor construction, etc). Based on your clause and the damage I don't think any refund should've been given.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%