Pricing Cake Decoration???

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 17 Apr 2014 , 8:39am by simplybaker

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 2:18pm
post #61 of 83

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

You're right, and it's also a load of crap directed at people who don't want to do the homework to figure out their real costs, hours involved in each cake, and wage per hour. That way they can price things haphazardly and randomly then say "but nobody can tell me how to price things, so I'm right even though I don't know how much I'm actually making per cake. Because math is hard and makes my brain hurt wah wah wah."

Thank You! You know what though, I'm going to suggest something even more scandalous. I think a lot of the people just don't care period. They're still so starry eyed and in the worshipping phase of cake making (loves Buddy and Duff, talks about dirty icing, thinks the cake shows in general are the bees knees), that any business talk takes their focus away from the pretty and fun parts of the job. They just don't care....they want to make pretty cakes, get a bunch of likers on Facebook, and as long as their hubby doesn't start complaining about the bank balance....they're cool.

AZCouture Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 2:23pm
post #62 of 83

AI can pretty much say I know a few of them in person. They squirm when you mention order forms (just do the order thru Facebook), change the subject when minimum orders come up (always for a friend, seems like every order is for a friend and has a discount for some reason), and positively has zero input when legalities get discussed. But as soon as it's Facebook time, wooooo, can't shut em up! Posting that cake here and there, sharing it to the wall of every big time page you can think of for moooore likes....blah. Anyway, nothing wrong with being a hobbyist and enjoying the attention your pretty work attracts, but you don't get to "play business" when it's convenient.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 3:09pm
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Because math is hard and makes my brain hurt wah wah wah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I think a lot of the people just don't care period... they want to make pretty cakes, get a bunch of likers on Facebook, and as long as their hubby doesn't start complaining about the bank balance....they're cool.

The worst part is when they start posting nonsensical business advice. And then attack anyone who dares contradict the questionable advice. In my humble opinion...

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 3:16pm
post #64 of 83

A^^ that's the part that just really FLOORS me.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 3:18pm
post #65 of 83

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I can safely say that the wrong way to price cakes is anything formulaic that ignores your specific situation, like saying multiply the cost of your ingredients by three for everything.

And there are plenty of wrong business practices...

People just need to stop being so fast to be offended when someone disagrees with what they want to do.

Yes lol. To suggest that as long as someone is "happy" with it it's right....leads ppl down a path.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 4:15pm
post #66 of 83

I think the most difficult part about working out pricing is working out the 'value' of your USP.  Cost, materials, labour, time - they are all easy to quantify with tables.  Working out what people are willing to spend extra for your bit of uniqueness: your brand, your skill, your style, your special thing that no one else does - that's not easy.  I have spent hours and hours in front of spreadsheets and cost tables trying to work out my costs and still, it is being fine tuned (after some very helpful input from contributors on this forum).

There is a UK celebrity baker who 'makes' cakes - I say makes loosely because she has no real involvement in baking any more.  They sell a single tier, fondant covered cake with an edible print and few very basic flowers for over £300.  Would I charge that much?  No.  But that's fine because it's not my business.  The raw costs of this cake are probably £20 max but they have clearly decided that their brand/the bakers name is worth that price tag - and they're still in business so people are clearly paying it!  Just think of how much you pay for a Carlos Bakery consultation, of a minimum cost for an Ace of Cakes cake?  You could probably go to another bakery which would give you the same product for half the price but you pay for their uniqueness.

Then there are other things to think of - I still do this part time but when I came into it, I didn't want to be the cheap cake person.  Mostly this was because I wanted to be respected by other local bakers and didn't want to be undercutting them and stealing their business, but also because I will be paying copious amounts of tax on my profits so it has to be worthwhile!  Okay, I'm fairly new, so can't charge quite the same premium based on experience but providing I'm fair to everyone, being able to charge the same as my caking 'idols' is something to strive for....

just my 10 cents (or probably 50 cents...just realised how much I wrote...sorry!)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 4:19pm
post #67 of 83

Quote:

I can pretty much say I know a few of them in person. They squirm when you mention order forms (just do the order thru Facebook), change the subject when minimum orders come up (always for a friend, seems like every order is for a friend and has a discount for some reason), and positively has zero input when legalities get discussed. But as soon as it's Facebook time, wooooo, can't shut em up! Posting that cake here and there, sharing it to the wall of every big time page you can think of for moooore likes....blah. Anyway, nothing wrong with being a hobbyist and enjoying the attention your pretty work attracts, but you don't get to "play business" when it's convenient.

There was a woman here about 8 years ago who started a cake business, got a fancy website, business cards etc, and came to one of my classes. The guy who ran the culinary school where I was teaching was kind of hanging around during the lesson and was listening to her. When she left, he said that she seemed to be the type who wanted to play business but wasn't really serious about it. Sure enough, three months later she closed because it was too much work. And she posted that on her website, so we weren't making up the reason. There are tons of people like that around, they like the attenion they get when they tell someone they have a business, but they're not serous about it.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 5:31pm
post #68 of 83

AI worked for a woman myself that opened a business because she just wanted to say she was the owner. She was so sweet and caring to te customers' faces, but behind the scenes, she was awful. She hated helping them, she actually hid from them when they came in to the bakery or she saw them in a store, she couldn't handle ANY criticism, and was an all-around moron. Her business closed after about 6 months. It was just too much for her to handle, so she quit. She honestly thought that she could just sit back and decorate pretty cakes all day, and not worry about anything else.

costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 6:35pm
post #69 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

I worked for a woman myself that opened a business because she just wanted to say she was the owner.
She was so sweet and caring to te customers' faces, but behind the scenes, she was awful. She hated helping them, she actually hid from them when they came in to the bakery or she saw them in a store, she couldn't handle ANY criticism, and was an all-around moron. Her business closed after about 6 months. It was just too much for her to handle, so she quit.
She honestly thought that she could just sit back and decorate pretty cakes all day, and not worry about anything else.

that about sums it up.

sugarpuppet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarpuppet Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 6:54pm
post #70 of 83

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

[SIZE=14px]The worst part is when they start posting nonsensical business advice. And then attack anyone who dares contradict the questionable advice. In my humble opinion...[/SIZE]

Are you referencing my advice with this? If so, im not really sure still why my advice differed sso greatly from anyone elses. Yes, you should be on par with the prices of your decorating equals. I didnt say "add 20%profit" or anything that would make for a finite price. However, if I see something that I havent seen before and am asked to price it, I figure out what costs im putting into it before even considering a price which is what I was was explaining how she could also do. It seems howsweet was offended (and others too) by me saying "if youre trying to make money when youre not.." I wasnt saying you shouldnt. Its a calculation I dont have t factor in so I dont, but was agreeing, yes, add it to the base price or labor. I just dont think to someone just starting to price cakes (which is difficult!) Saying "market price" and leaving it at that is overly helpful. Its not NOT helpful, I just wanted to elaborate more. If were both reaching the same prices I dont see how either are wrong and so dont understand why youd try to shut someones advice out. If you werent talking to me, well, im glad I got that out there anyway. This is not to be meant as rude or catty or anything btw.

MimiFix Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 7:31pm
post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpuppet 

Are you referencing my advice with this? 

Nope, not at all. My statement was referring, sadly, to the many posts I've read during my CC years. I can't even remember or cite which posts or members. And it doesn't really matter. It's just my take-away after reading far too much misinformation.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 7:40pm
post #72 of 83

Quote:

....and so dont understand why youd try to shut someone's advice out.

Isn't that what you were doing when you told Howsweet to keep her opinions to herself?

sugarpuppet Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:06pm
post #73 of 83

AI meant her negativity. Obviously I read this to gain insight and advice like everyone else. if she had been constructive and said "you can use that to find your costsas long as youre considering market price and account for time doing your non cake related business." I would have either not replied because shes right or replied just to agree. If all someones going to say is I think youre wrong, though, then keep it to yourself because its not helping anybody.

AZCouture Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:19pm
post #74 of 83

A

Original message sent by pastrypet

Isn't that what you were doing when you told Howsweet to keep her opinions to herself? [quote name="sugarpuppet" url="/t/769547/pricing-cake-decoration/60#post_7501102"]If all someones going to say is I think youre wrong, though, then keep it to yourself because its not helping anybody.

It might not be the most polite thing to say, "you're wrong", without any supporting evidence/opinion, but it invites further conversation. Someone else may be able to say yes, it's wrong and here's why, or no, that's correct and here's why. I don't know, I guess I have a tough shell. I don't care how the information is conveyed to me, if it's something worth learning, remove the emotion from it and absorb the knowledge.

MimiFix Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:23pm
post #75 of 83

Quote:

It might not be the most polite thing to say, "you're wrong", without any supporting evidence/opinion, but it invites further conversation. Someone else may be able to say yes, it's wrong and here's why, or no, that's correct and here's why. I don't know, I guess I have a tough shell. I don't care how the information is conveyed to me, if it's something worth learning, remove the emotion from it and absorb the knowledge.

Yes! I agree. Business info should not have to come with pretty cupcake toppers.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 8:49pm
post #76 of 83
Quote:

You're right, and it's also a load of crap directed at people who don't want to do the homework to figure out their real costs, hours involved in each cake, and wage per hour. That way they can price things haphazardly and randomly then say "but nobody can tell me how to price things, so I'm right even though I don't know how much I'm actually making per cake. Because math is hard and makes my brain hurt wah wah wah."

I'm so glad you said this - it's so true.

Quote:

Thank You! You know what though, I'm going to suggest something even more scandalous. I think a lot of the people just don't care period. They're still so starry eyed and in the worshipping phase of cake making (loves Buddy and Duff, talks about dirty icing, thinks the cake shows in general are the bees knees), that any business talk takes their focus away from the pretty and fun parts of the job. They just don't care....they want to make pretty cakes, get a bunch of likers on Facebook, and as long as their hubby doesn't start complaining about the bank balance....they're cool.

And who would care, right? Except they are wreaking havoc on the cake business

Quote:

Are you referencing my advice with this? If so, im not really sure still why my advice differed sso greatly from anyone elses. Yes, you should be on par with the prices of your decorating equals. I didnt say "add 20%profit" or anything that would make for a finite price. However, if I see something that I havent seen before and am asked to price it, I figure out what costs im putting into it before even considering a price which is what I was was explaining how she could also do. It seems howsweet was offended (and others too) by me saying "if youre trying to make money when youre not.." I wasnt saying you shouldnt. Its a calculation I dont have t factor in so I dont, but was agreeing, yes, add it to the base price or labor. I just dont think to someone just starting to price cakes (which is difficult!) Saying "market price" and leaving it at that is overly helpful. Its not NOT helpful, I just wanted to elaborate more. If were both reaching the same prices I dont see how either are wrong and so dont understand why youd try to shut someones advice out. If you werent talking to me, well, im glad I got that out there anyway. This is not to be meant as rude or catty or anything btw.

No, that didn't offend me - I was pointing out that if you think that an "if" can be included in whether or not you are charging customers for ALL your time spent, there's a problem.

Market price - the one thing that people just starting out need MOST to be directed to is the value of their product (in terms of pricing issues). Which is not determined by cost.. Undervaluing cakes is a rampant problem because 9 times out of 10 when information is given on how to price cake, it's all about costs. 

NOT helpful - And on many threads I've given information about how to figure out what market price is. If a person doesn't know how to figure it out, all they have to do is ask. But I don't ever think I've seen it asked. Why? Because cost is over emphasized here.

What DID offend me -

1) suggesting I should keep my opinions to myself

2) calling me a bully

And I found this statement offensive while not being personally bothered

3) letting us all know not to direct any comments to you saying you're wrong

sugarpuppet Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 9:03pm
post #77 of 83

AI get it az, and like I said its ok to say hey I dont agree with that advice, heres why. But I was explaining a different aspect that actually was complimentary to howsweet and not contradictory. I say "if" because I have a catering office that takes cakes orders (aside from consultations with me) and they charge a service charge for their work when its needed. Thats why I agreed and said to add it to labor or base. Sorry howsweet, for offending you. I was feeling offended myself.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 9:31pm
post #78 of 83

Sugarpuppet, I never meant to offend you. I realize I may have put you through the ringer a bit and for that I apologize. I have a very direct way of saying things if I'm writing them down, I realize it can sound harsh. My "forum training" was on a male dominated reef aquarium forum  where I have many, many more posts than I do here and I'm just used to communicating in this direct way. Over there, there's lot of lively discussion and no one is bothered if what they are saying is challenged. It's just the normal thing. I feel so strongly about these issues, that I have a hard time reining in.

I've always hated this phrase when people use it, but I want you to know that it's truly, truly not personal. I imagine that you're a lovely person and that you would similarly find me pleasant enough if we met in real life

sugarpuppet Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 10:47pm
post #79 of 83

AThank you, howsweet. :-)

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 2:05pm
post #80 of 83

Well, I came back to read my thread and I'm surprised of how it turned. I didn't mean to start and arguing  or anything like that, but I really appreciate your comments. All of the Comments here matter to me. I believe that everyone's opinions and suggestions are appreciated and helpful, it's a matter of taking what's best for you.

Thank you all again :) 

costumeczar Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 3:14pm
post #81 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakelove2105 

Well, I came back to read my thread and I'm surprised of how it turned. I didn't mean to start and arguing  or anything like that, but I really appreciate your comments. All of the Comments here matter to me. I believe that everyone's opinions and suggestions are appreciated and helpful, it's a matter of taking what's best for you.

Thank you all again :)

that's a good attitude...I also like the dogs in your avatar.

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 3:57pm
post #82 of 83

Quote:

that's a good attitude...I also like the dogs in your avatar.

Thank you!  That's the breed I have; They are so adorable and fluffy  :grin: 

simplybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplybaker Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 8:39am
post #83 of 83

There were several discussions all over the internet about cake pricing. These two discussions helped me a lot: Pricing Help and Pricing For Beginners

I hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%